Red Rock Canyon Landscape by Mark Rekshynskyj
Welcome Sign at Red Rock Canyon NCA Scenic Drive by Joe Pohle Cactus Wren by Joe Pohle Rockclimbing Globe Mallow by Kate Sorom
BLM>Nevada>District Offices>Southern Nevada District Office
Print Page
Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area - Photography and Film Permits
Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area’s scenic vistas are inspiring to many amateur and professional photographers.  
Most visitors take snapshots of their visit. This is considered casual use and does not require a film permit.  It is typified by an individual or group of individuals taking pictures, either still or moving, for personal use.  
In some cases permits may be required.
Still photography requires a film permit when one or more of the following situations apply:
  • use of models or props which are not part of a site’s natural or cultural resources or administrative facilities are involved. Family or wedding portraits taken by professional photographers would be considered use of “models” as would products placed at the site. Props include reflectors, bounce cards, sound booms, or similar equipment
  • if such photography takes place at locations where members of the public are generally not allowed
  • if it occurs where additional administrative costs are likely
Commercial still photography (photographs of scenery or wildlife) for magazine articles, advertisements, books, calendars, postcards, etc., does not require a film permit if none of the above criteria apply. This includes photographs that may have products or models superimposed on them later.
Moving photography (filming) requires a film permit when documentaries, television programs, feature films; advertisements, wildlife filming, or similar projects result in a commercial product.
Student filming projects do not require a filming permit as long as the activity would not adversely impact public lands.  Students need to submit a proposal in writing, with verification from the educational institution that it is a required project.  
Film/Photography permits need to be acquired in advance.  For more information, please call (702) 515-5000 or visit


           Red Rock Canyon                National Conservation Area

Driving Directions
Planning Your Visit 
Safetyvisitor guidesfeesweatherreservationsFrequently Asked Questions
Accessibilityphotographyweddingspetsspecial regulationshot topics and alerts
Leave No TraceTread Lightly    
Natural and Cultural Resources
plants and flowerswild horse and burrobirdsother mammals reptilesprehistoric cultural resources
historic cultural resourcesgeologyfossil iconwilderness areas  
13-Mile Scenic Driverockclimbinghikingfree programs and hikescommercial programspicnic areas
road bikingmountain bikinghorseback ridingcampgroundbackcountry campingOHV
night skiesgeocaching hunting   
Special Recreation Permits
Visitor Center
For Teachers and Parents
For Kids
Management and Planning
Contact Numbers