Locatable Minerals - Mining Law

Activities on a mining claim are limited to prospecting, mining, or processing operations and uses reasonably incident thereto. Surface disturbance that exceeds “casual use” requires authorization of the local BLM Field Office or Forest Service Ranger District Office that administers the land and the State Mining and Minerals Division. Generally, casual use activities, not requiring authorization, do not involve mechanized earth moving equipment and cause no or negligible disturbance, such as hand collecting, digging, or panning. Contact the BLM Field Office or Forest Service Ranger District Office before conducting any surface disturbing activities on Federal land.

Mining Claims and Sites

Information on Locating and Maintaining a Mining Claim or Site on Federal Land in New Mexico

Surface Management

Information on Surface Disturbing Activities on a Mining Claim or Site

Guiding Regulations