4400 (MT9230) P
EMAIL TRANSMISSION – 09/11/09
Instruction Memorandum No. MT-2009-067
To: Field Managers
From: State Director
Subject: RIME Report DD: 10/13/09
Program Area: Rangeland Management
Purpose: The National Operations Center is collecting information for the Fiscal Year (FY) 2009 National Rangeland Inventory, Monitoring, and Evaluation (RIME) Report as outlined in IM No. OC-2009-035.
Policy/Action: The RIME report is to be completed in accordance with policy contained in the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Handbook H-4400-1 (Release 4-98 and 4-100), BLM Manual H-4180-1 (Release 1-107, dated January 19, 2001), and instructions found in IM No. OC-2009-037. To assist in compiling the FY 2009 RIME report, Microsoft Excel spreadsheets for field office use are to be completed. Because no changes have been made in the past year regarding data required and spreadsheet format, each office should be able to reuse spreadsheets used in FY 2008 by replacing 2008 data with 2009 data.
- The RIME report contains seven tables; however, the field offices will only need to supply data for five of the tables:
- For part of Table 1, Ecological Site Inventory Summary, acres inventoried this FY will be collected from MIS; therefore, it is imperative that field offices input this data into MIS in a timely manner.
- For Table 2A, Rangeland Inventories, the total acres available to be inventoried will be obtained from RAS.
- For Table 2B, Ecological Site Inventory, the total ESI acres will now only include the acres that were actually categorized to seral stage; ESI acres categorized to Unclassified, in historic RIME reports, will no longer be included in Table 2B. Ecological Site Inventory acres in Tables 2A and 1 will rely on the acres reported in Table 2B.
- Table 3 contains data on monitored rangeland trend.
- Table 4 contains data on M, I, and C categories of allotments.
- Table 5 contains information on allotment monitoring.
- Table 6 contains information on allotment management plans. Tables 4 and 6 will be obtained from RAS.
- Table 7 contains data on current annual and cumulative achievements of BLM’s Land Health Standards.
- In summary, field offices will only need to submit data for some of Table 1, most of Table 2A, and the entirety of Tables 2B, 3, 5, and 7.
Using the attached state excel spreadsheet, or modifying your FY 2008 submission, please consolidate your field office data, and send to Floyd Thompson at Floyd_Thompson@blm.gov.
Timeframe: This IM is effective upon receipt. The due date for field office submissions is October 13, 2009.
Budget Impact: The effect of this IM on the budget is minimal because the required tasks have been reduced and no additional data are being requested, in comparison with previous years.
Background: The current RIME report is the result of changes agreed upon at an FY 2004 Inventory and Monitoring/Range Program State Leads Meeting in Salt Lake City, Utah. If field office spreadsheets need to be resent, contact Floyd Thompson, at 406-896-5025, or Mike “Sherm” Karl, Inventory and Monitoring Specialist, Division of Resource Services at 303-236-0166.
Manual/Handbook Sections Affected: BLM Handbook H-4400-1 (Releases 4-98 and 4-100) and BLM Manual H-4180-1 (Release 1-107, dated 1/19/01).
Coordination: This IM and data request has been coordinated with field office range staff involved with inventory and monitoring.
Contact: All office responses or questions should be submitted to Floyd Thompson, State Program Lead, at 406-896-5025.
Signed by: Authenticated by:
Gene. R. Terland Janie Fox
State Director Staff Assistant (MT9200)