Print Page

<<Back to Recreation

Off-Highway Vehicle Use/Travel Management

OHV Laws and Regulations

 OHV Riding Areas
 Shepherd Ah Nei
If you drive a car, truck, all-terrain vehicle, four-wheeler, or motorcycle on Forest Service or BLM public lands in Montana, North, Dakota, or South Dakota, you must stay on roads and trails
The BLM and Forest Service have issued decisions that prohibit “cross-country” OHV travel in order to minimize user conflicts and protect fragile soils, riparian areas, vegetation, and wildlife. In addition, individual BLM or Forest Service offices may close or open particular routes. Obey signs, carry a map, and check with your local Forest Service or BLM office to obtain current travel information. Other public land management agencies also prohibit cross-country travel.Download OHV "On The Right Track"

Driving cross-country means operating a motorized, wheeled vehicle off a road or trail.



  • Travel for military needs, fire suppression, search and rescue or law enforcement emergency vehicles is allowed. 
  • BLM and Forest Service permittees may travel cross-country for the administration of their permits. 
  • This policy does not apply to several specific BLM, National Forest and National Grassland areas that are designated for intensive OHV use.  Contact your local BLM or Forest Service Office for information on these areas. 
  • OHV users may drive cross-country to campsites within 300 feet of existing road and trails after locating their campsite in a non-motorized fashion. 
  • This policy does not apply to snowmobiles nor does it affect six areas designated as intensive use areas: South Hills, Terry OHV area, Glasgow OHV area, Fresno OHV area, Radersburg OHV area, and lands addressed in the Elkhorn Mountains Travel Management Plan. 

All of our field offices are developing travel management plans which will further define where and when OHVs may be used.  Please contact your local BLM office for details on its travel management plan.  The Dillon Field Office has completed it travel management plan as part of its Dillon Resource Management Plan.


Please "Tread Lightly" in order to enhance the public's opportunity to enjoy these lands in the future. You can help by picking up litter, avoiding travel that could damage the land, observing signs and posted areas, leaving gates as you found them, and asking permission to enter private land.


Click here to go to the Off-Highway Vehicle EIS and Record of Decision

Click here to go to national travel management information

Last updated: 01-07-2013