Do I need a permit?

Ask yourself this question: Will your collection activities qualify as casual collecting (See Hobby Collecting)? If the answer is yes, it is personal casual collecting, and you do not need a permit.

All other activity, including research activities on all fossils (plants, invertebrates, and vertebrates), requries a permit.

Guidelines on qualifiying and applying for a permit can be found here. Consultants have special permitting needs that can be found on this page.

Questions related to collecting on BLM land in Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota can be directed to:

Greg Liggett, Paleontologist
BLM State Office
5001 Southgate Dr.
Billings, MT 59101

 Montana Paleontology Home

Apply for a permit

What is required for the Annual Report?