Dumont Dunes Subgroup of the Desert Advisory Council (DAC)
The California Desert District Bureau of Land Management (BLM) manages roughly 12 million acres of public lland in Southern California. These lands include sandy washes, remote canyons, riparian areas, rocky peaks and historic and archaeological sites.
- The Dumont Dunes subgroup will review, understand, and provide recommendations to the DAC on the management of the Dumont Dunes Recreation Area including the collection and expenditure of recreation fees, proposed facility maintenance and development, visitor education and outreach, volunteer and partnership development, and other issues that may arise involving the management of the recreation area.
- This Subgroup of the DAC will provide recommendations to the BLM through the DAC.
- The BLM and the DAC will seek applicants for this subgroup.
To deliver a series of recommendations about the following issues:
- Build consensus in the evolving management of the Dumont Dunes Recreation Area.
- Monitor the recreation fee program and make recommendations on the use of recreational fees at the Dumont Dunes Recreation Area.
- Provide transparency in the management of the Dumont Dunes Recreation Area.
- Provide an opportunity for the public to engage in and better understand the management of the Dumont Dunes Recreation Area.
Expertise Needed from Members
Members of the Subgroup will be nominated by the DAC chair, selected by the DAC and concurred with by the BLM. Applicants will have demonstrated interest and should have expertise in the Dumont Dunes Recreation Area, combined with one or more of the following areas:
- Recreation Management
- Education and Outreach
- Volunteer and partnership development
- Natural Resource Management
- Community representative
The group will consist of 7-9 members, with at least one member from the DAC.
Three-year term, with option for consideration to serve a second term; staggered terms (1/3 each year).
Selection of Members and Election of Officers
As the Dumont Dunes Subgroup was a previous standing Subgroup of the DAC, DAC members may serve during the nomination and selection process as members. BLM will advertise the opportunity for nominations to the Dumont Dunes Subgroup. Interested persons may submit applications to BLM per the application form. BLM provides all applications to the DAC chair for nomination, and approval is by the DAC. The DAC chair selects the Subgroup chair, and the Subgroup may vote annually to choose vice chair.
The Dumont Dunes Subgroup will meet four times a year either virtually or in-person. Location of in person meetings will be decided by the group but may be at the Barstow Field Office or at Dumont Dunes depending on the current agenda.
Process for Reporting to DAC
Subgroup prepares summary of meetings, subgroup chair submits report to DAC chair, and DAC chair distributes to DAC members (and BLM posts on DAC website for public) with 14-day comment period before forwarding report with any comments to BLM. (Note: the comment period does not preclude BLM field staff from taking interim action where information from the DAC subgroup or other sources indicates more immediate action is needed.)