Photograph of Colorado Mountain Range
Mesa Autumn Wild Horses oil_rig_OG Boaters Photograph of Ruin
BLM>Colorado>Field Offices>White River Field Office>WRFO Recreation Home>Motorized Vehicle Recreation
Print Page
BLM Colorado | WRFO Recreation | Motorized Vehicle Recreation

Dune Buggy at the Annual Rangely Rock Crawl

Off Highway Vehicles

Off-highway vehicle (OHV) area designations such as "open," "limited," or "closed"on BLM administered public lands are made through the land use planning process. The most current comprehensive land use plan for the White River Field Office is the 1997 Resource Management Plan. Travel Management Plans, which designate the types of motorized and non-motorized use for each route, have yet to be completed for the White River Field Office. Some of the highlights from the 1997 Resouce Management Plan include:  

  • No areas will be designated as open to OHV use at this time.
  • Winter snowmobile use will remain open, except within the Moosehead road closure area, Oak Ridge State Wildlife Area, and the six Wilderness Study Areas.
  • Until a Travel Management Plan is completed, motorized vehicles will be limited to existing roads, ways and trails on most of the public lands in the Resource Area from October 1 through April 30 each year.
  • Motorized vehicle travel in some areas is limited to existing roads and trails year round.

Please review pages 2-44 to 2-46 and maps 2-22, 2-23A, 2-23B, 2-23C, 2-23D, 2-23E, 2-23F, 2-24, and 2-25 of the White River Record of Decision and Approved Resource Management Plan  to become familiar with area destinations, specific limited areas, exceptions, and other detailed information.

Colorado Law
The use of OHVs on the public lands is subject to Colorado law:
Licensed, street-legal 4wds and motorcycles -  No additional registration is required.
Unlicensed OHVs (such as motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, 4wds):

Colorado resident: 

The OHV must be registered with Colorado Department of Parks and Outdoor Recreation. The annual registration fee is $25.25. Registrations are valid from April 1 through March 31 each year.

Out-of-state OHVs:  

Out-of-state residents who bring OHVs into Colorado must purchase a Colorado Non-Resident OHV permit which is valid from the date of purchase through the following March 31. These permits can be purchased anywhere you get your hunting/fishing licenses in Colorado, via mail-in request, or online at the Colorado State Parks E-Store

Once purchased, this sticker should be placed on the vehicle’s outside face of the right front fender or fork.  Since this is only a use permit, no renewal notice will be sent to non-resident permit holders; you must purchase a new permit each year you come to Colorado with your OHV.

For more information on OHV riding on public lands in Colorado visit Stay The Trail .  The mission of Stay The Trail Colorado is to encourage the responsible use of the roads and trails that are open to motorized recreation in Colorado. Stay The Trail Colorado is a program of the Responsible Recreation Foundation .