Photograph of Colorado Mountain Range
Mesa Autumn Wild Horses oil_rig_OG Boaters Photograph of Ruin
BLM>Colorado>Field Offices>Tres Rios>Recreation and Travel Management>OHV
Print Page

Off-Highway Vehicles

Off-highway vehicle (OHV) designations on BLM-administered public lands are made through the land use planning process.  The three types of OHV designations are: Open, Limited, and Closed.  Be sure to check with the local BLM office to determine which areas are available for OHV use.

Open - off-road use is allowed, as long as it does not result in significant, undue damage to or disturbance of soil, wildlife, wildlife habitat, improvements, cultural, or vegetative resources, or other authorized uses of the public lands.

Limited - vehicle use is restricted as defined in the appropriate land use plan.  Limitations could include such designations as "limited to existing roads and trails," "limited to designated roads and trails," or seasonal limitations such as "no vehicle use during elk calving season."

Closed - motorized vehicle use is not allowed.

Colorado Law

The use of OHVs on the public lands is subject to Colorado law.

Licensed, street-legal 4wds and motorcycles - No additional registration is required.

Unlicensed OHVs (such as motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, 4wds):

Colorado resident 

  • The OHV must be registered with Colorado Department of Parks and Outdoor Recreation.
  • The annual registration fee is $25.25. Registrations are valid from April 1 through March 31 each year.

Out-of-state OHVs 

  • Out-of-state residents who bring OHVs into Colorado must purchase a Colorado Non-Resident OHV permit which is valid from the date of purchase through the following March 31. These permits can be purchased anywhere you get your hunting/fishing licenses in Colorado, via mail-in request, or you can order one online at the Colorado State Parks E-Store. 
  • Once purchased, this sticker should be placed on the vehicle’s outside face of the right front fender or fork.  Since this is only a use permit, no renewal notice will be sent to non-resident permit holders; you must purchase a new permit each year you come to Colorado with your OHV.

Tres Rios Recreation | Tres Rios Homepage