Photograph of Colorado Mountain Range
Mesa Autumn Wild Horses oil_rig_OG Boaters Photograph of Ruin
BLM>Colorado>Field Offices>Royal Gorge Field Office>Recreation>Recreation Activities>Hunting
Print Page


The Royal Gorge Field Office manages approximately 750,000 acres of public lands open to hunting. A variety of habitats provides an opportunity to take multiple species of big game, small game, and waterfowl. 

Colorado Parks and Wildlife manages all game on public lands managed by the BLM; and they are the agency in charge of the hunting program in the state.  Any questions regarding hunter safety cards, hunting regulations or license, wildlife populations or GMUs can be directed to the Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife (719) 227-5200.
Bighorn Sheep

General Tips

While out hunting on public lands, please observe all regulations pertaining to the use of Off-Highway Vehicles including staying on designated routes. If camping, please observe the dispersed camping guidelines to minimize impacts to your public lands.

Here are links to other useful information for planning your hunt:

Accessing Public Lands

BLM land is often intermixed with other property owners and agencies including private lands and state lands. It is your responsibility to know whose parcel of land you are on, and to make sure you have permission to be there. 


How do I know where private land boundaries are?

In Colorado, private land owners are not required to post or fence their property boundaries.  The BLM land boundaries are not always fenced or signed either.  It is your responsibility to know where you are and avoid trespassing.  The local BLM office has maps available that provide land ownership information (e.g., private, BLM, U.S. Forest Service, state lands).


Can I pass through an already open gate or open a closed gate and go through it within BLM-managed lands?

You will often encounter gates while traveling through BLM-managed lands.  With the exception of wet weather gates, private property gates, and administrative access only gates, you may pass through an already open, as well as, closed gate.  Be sure to leave the gate the way you found it. A gate will usually be signed indicating its purpose.  


Can someone who is leasing BLM lands for the purpose of grazing, recreational outfitting or for mining claims deny the general public access to, or use of BLM-leased lands?  Can they charge the general public for use of BLM leased lands?

BLM leased lands are open for use to the general public the same as non-leased BLM lands.  BLM permit holders cannot charge the general public for access to, or for use of BLM-leased lands.  There are BLM recreational permittees who charge their clients for their services; however, they are not allowed to charge the general public for use of those same BLM lands that they use for their services. 

If you feel someone has wrongfully denied you access to public lands or is trying to charge you for use of public lands within the RGFO management area contact our office at (719) 269-8500.


Can private land owners keep the public from crossing their land to access BLM public lands located beyond their property?

Sometimes there is no legal access to isolated public lands located beyond private land boundaries.  Legal access across private land only exists if the road you are traveling on is a state or federal highway, county road or a BLM or U.S. Forest Service access road.  All other roads should be considered private and to travel on such roads would require permission from the private land owner. Private land ownership information can be obtained from the local County Assessor’s Office.


Why are there travel restrictions in certain areas?

Motorized travel restrictions may be imposed in certain areas or on specific roads or trails on BLM lands for the purpose of protecting sensitive or critical resources, for public safety, or to meet special management needs.  Restricted areas/roads and trails will be posted. Closed roads are not posted.  Please respect the travel restriction and travel only on open roads and trails.


Wet Conditions Closures?

Several roads are closed when road conditions are muddy to prevent damage to resources and reduce annual road maintenance costs. These roads have gates that are open and closed based on the on the ground conditions for each area. It is a safe bet that if there is a big snow storm and then a warm-up or there is a long duration of rain the gates would be locked for a short period until conditions dry out. For up to date conditions you can contact the BLM office at (719) 269-8500 or refer to our websiteThese road closures apply to motorized travel only, hiking, mountain biking and horseback riding are allowed year round.       


The following areas are subject to wet weather closures, click here for current status;