Photograph of Colorado Mountain Range
Mesa Autumn Wild Horses oil_rig_OG Boaters Photograph of Ruin
BLM>Colorado>Field Offices>Gunnison>Recreation>Off Highway Vehicles - BLM Designations
Print Page
Gunnison BLM Field Office Travel Management Regulations
Designated Routes Only
Motorized and mechanized travel is limited to designated roads and trails. Designated routes are signed open at the beginning of each route and are shown in the attached travel maps. Off designated route travel is prohibited on BLM lands in the Gunnison Basin. Game carts for the purpose of game retrieval are exempt from this regulation.
 Seasonal Closures
All low elevation BLM roads and trails are closed to motorized vehicle travel from March 15 to May 15 each year to protect Gunnison Sage-grouse breeding and early nesting habitat. One exception is some trails in Hartman Rocks Recreation Area will open to motorized travel before May 15.   
Dispersed Camping with a Vehicle
For dispersed camping and general recreation, you must not travel with a motor or mechanized vehicle more than 300 feet from the edge of a designated road while on an existing route. If no existing route is available you must not park a vehicle more than 30 feet from the edge of a designated route as defined in the 2010 Gunnison Basin Federal Lands Travel Management Plan Record of Decision.
There are two corresponding travel maps available, one for the northern portion of the Gunnison Basin, and one for the southern.
North Map
South Map

Colorado State Law Regarding OHV Registration and Use

The use of OHVs on public lands is subject to Colorado law.

Licensed, street-legal vehicles and motorcycles - No additional registration is required.

Unlicensed OHVs (such as off road motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, dune buggies etc):

  • Colorado resident
    • the OHV must be registered with Colorado Department of Parks and Outdoor Recreation.
  • Out-of-State resident
    • You must register the vehicle with the Colorado Department of Parks and Outdoor Recreation whether the OHV is registered in your state of residence or not.  This is a recent change that was implemented early in 2008.

You can register your OHV or snowmobile at our office at 650 South 11th Street in Gunnison. 

If you live in Colorado click here, to renew your Off-Highway Vehicle Registration, Snowmobile Registration or Boat Registration online.

If you live OUTSIDE of Colorado click here, to purchase your Non-Resident Off-Highway Vehicle Permit or Snowmobile Permit online.

The fees generated by registering unlicensed vehicles go into a State OHV Fund that is used to build and maintain riding opportunities in the State.  The registration process also enables law enforcement to track stole vehicles and return them to their owners.

Licensed, street legal vehicles can be used on all State Highways, County roads and legal public access roads on public lands. 

Unlicensed but Registered OHVs such as ATVs and dirt bikes cannot be driven on State Highways.  They may be driven on some County roads if the individual County has passed an ordinance allowing such use.

No vehicles may be driven on private land unless you have the permission of the owner or there is a public access easement on the road.  A landowner is not required to fence or sign their property to warn you against trespassing.  It is your responsibility as a recreationist to know where you are and avoid private land unless you have permission. 

Created by the Bureau of Land Management, Colorado
Point of Contact:
Jim Lovelace

Last modified: January 12, 2011