2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response
While continuing to deliver essential services to the greatest extent practicable, the Bureau of Land Management is following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and working with state and local health authorities to minimize the risk of COVID-19 transmission. We encourage visitors to contact or visit the website of their local BLM state or district office for the latest office hours and availability, which are subject to change as this situation evolves. Please follow recommendations from the CDC and your state and local health authorities before visiting your public lands to best protect yourself, BLM employees and our volunteers.
Recreate Responsibly, Recreate Safely Tips
- Stay home if you don’t feel well or have recently been sick.
- Follow guidance from local and state authorities, as well as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Avoid heavily used or crowded trails, parking areas, and sites and seek dispersed recreation opportunities in your local area. Have a backup plan to avoid crowded high-use areas. If you find an area to be crowded, turn around.
- Check with local offices for current conditions, including closures and changes in service, before visiting popular areas and visit blm.gov for operating status updates.
- Practice social distancing. Be considerate of others enjoying the outdoors by giving them as much space as possible in parking lots, at trailheads, and out on public lands.
- Help prevent human-caused wildfires. Completely extinguish campfires by using the “drown, stir and feel” method. Don’t park on dry grass and ensure tow chains aren't dragging and tow straps are secured. Observe fire danger restrictions on BLM lands designated as high-risk early in this fire season. Follow fireworks restrictions and target shooting requirements at all times.
- Avoid unnecessary risks while recreating to prevent overwhelming medical facilities.
- Bring supplies for sanitation with you and pack out your trash. Facilities, including bathrooms and visitor centers may not be open or available for in-person contact.
View Updates by State
- Alaska (Alert)
- Arizona (Alert)
- California (Alert)
- Colorado (Alert)
- Eastern States (Alert)
- Idaho (Alert)
- Nevada (Alert)
- New Mexico (Alert, Press Release)
- Oregon/Washington (Alert, Press Release)
- Utah (Alert)
- Wyoming (Alert)