Brooks Range
Grizzly along the Denali Highway Rafting the Gulkana National Wild River Native woman drying salmon on racks ATV rider on trails near Glennallen Surveyor
BLM>Alaska>Resources>Public Room>Frequently Asked Questions
Print Page
Frequently Asked Questions

1. How many acres of public lands does the BLM-Alaska manage?  The BLM-Alaska manages approximately 72 million acres of public lands.

2. Are Alaska lands still being given away? 
Yes, BLM-Alaska is still processing applications and conveying land under the 1906 Native Allotment Act program, the Alaska Statehood Act, the 1971 Alaska Native Claims Settlment Act as well as the Alaska Native Veterans Act passed in 1998.  More information can be found at the Alaska Land Transfer Program Website

3. Are there lands in Alaska that are available for homesteading? No, there are no longer federal lands in Alaska available for homesteading, homesites, headquarter sites and/or trade and manufacturing sites.  All such federal programs expired in 1986 as a result of the Federal Land Policy and Management Act (FLPMA) of 1976.  Under FLPMA, Congress directed the government to manage remaining public lands for long-term retention.  Therefore, the BLM has no land disposal program.  However, the State of Alaska has a land disposal program that periodically makes land available only to Alaska residents.  Visit or contact the Alaska Department of Natural Resources for additional information on the State's disposal program.

4. When is the next land sale?  Visit or contact the Alaska Department of Natural Resources as all such federal programs expired in 1986 as a result of the Federal Land Policy and Management Act (FLPMA) of 1976.

5. How can I find out the status of lands in Alaska? Visit the BLM-Alaska State Office PIC or contact us by phone (907-271-5960) or email (  You may also visit or contact the State of Alaska.

6. What are ANCSA and ANILCA? Enacted in 1971, the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) was passed to address the land claims of Native Alaskans. ANCSA created twelve Native-owned regional corporations, granted 962 million dollars in seed money, and authorized the Native corporations to select 44 million acres of federal lands in Alaska.

The Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act (ANILCA) was signed into law by President Jimmy Carter in 1980. ANILCA is a land conservation statute that protects over 100 million acres of federal lands in Alaska, doubling the size of the country’s national park and refuge system and tripling the amount of land designated as wilderness. ANILCA expanded the national park system in Alaska by over 43 million acres, creating 10 new national parks and increasing the acreage of three existing units. Learn more Alaska specific laws concerning BLM.

7. Where can I go to cut down Christmas trees?  Information on Christmas tree cutting within the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, which is managed by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, can be obtained at the following website: or by calling (907) 262-7021. Additional Anchorage-area information involving holiday tree cutting can be obtained from the Alaska Division of Forestry at 907-761-6300 or the Chugach National Forest office in Girdwood at 783-3242.

8. Where can I cut fire wood?  The BLM sometime issues a list of BLM public land locations from which fire wood can be appropriately obtained. You should visit or contact the BLM-Alaska State Office Public Information Center to determine if a list has been published.  You may also wish to visit or contact other governmental agencies, most notably the Forest Service and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, as they may also allow this practice on lands they manage.   

9. How can I get a copy of a conveyance document (patent, certificate of allotment, etc.)? Visit the BLM-Alaska State Office PIC or contact us by phone (907-271-5960), fax (907-271-3684) or email ( 

10. How can I obtain survey plats and survey notes?  
Visit the BLM-Alaska State Office PIC or contact us by phone (907-271-5960), fax (907-271-3684) or email ( 

11. How long is the Iditarod Trail and are there any cabins for public use anywhere along the trail?  The Iditarod Trail is approximately 2,300 miles, but the BLM does not manage the entire trail.  The BLM operates four public shelter cabins along certain portions of the Iditarod Trail. Cabin use, which is shared, is free and does not require a reservation. The cabins are located (from South to North) at Rohn, Bear Creek, Tripod Flats, and Old Woman. Click here for map. The cabins are accessible over land in the winter, with the exception of Rohn, which has an emergency airstrip.  Other Iditarod Trail management agencies have public cabins along the trail, but use generally requires a reservation and is not free.   The PIC sometimes has Iditarod posters.  Visit or contact the BLM-Alaska State Office PIC at 907-271-5960.  To find out more about the trail, visit the Iditarod National Historic Trail website.

12. How do I file a mining claim and how do I know which lands are available for mining? Visit our Mining website for answers to these questions. 

13. Where can I go to pan for gold?  Most gold panning sites are located on State lands.    The northern tier (Fairbanks ) is generally the best place for gold panning. You can also find more information on our gold panning web page.

14. I would like to fish, hike, hunt, camp, and take photos while in Alaska.  What do I  need to know about where to go, permits, etc. to take advantage of the best outdoor recreation and do it legally?

  1. Fishing (Federal Website)  /Fishing (State of Alaska Website)
  2. Hiking Trails
  3. Camping and campgrounds
  4. Hunting (Federal website) Hunting  (State of Alaska website)

15. How can I get a right-of-way?  See Obtaining a Right of Way on public lands

16. How do I get an oil and gas lease? See  Oil and gas leasing

17. What types of land use activities require a permit? 

  1. Energy Exploration
  2. Fishing 
  3. Hunting


Helpful Links

freqently asked questions iconFAQs

reports iconReports and 
Brochures on-line

Fee Sheet

Mining Claim

Gold panning

Oil & Gas Leasing

Special Areas


Alaska's National 

Wildlife Refuges

State of Alaska

Alaska Dept. of 
Natural Resources

dinosaur iconAlaska Dinosaurs

 Spatial Data Management System Logo Spatial Data 
Management System