Where you can recreate

Permitted Commercial Recreation

BLM Permitted Events 


Guidelines, Information 
and Safety

Special Recreation and Commercial Permits

Rafting on the Gulkana National Wild RiverSpecial Recreation Permits are issued to organizations or individuals to allow the use of specific public land and related waters for commercial or competitive use.

The Special Recreation Permits allow the land stewards to coordinate and track commercial and competitive use of public lands. It also provides resource protection measures to ensure the future enjoyment of those resources by the public.

Application Process

  1. Verify that the activity is going to take place on public lands by contacting the BLM Field Office in the area of activity
  2. The BLM will supply you with an application, checklist and a handbook
  3. 120 days prior to operation, file the application and items identified on the checklist
  4. The BLM will advise applicant of disapproval or request additional information within 30 days from receipt of application or 15 days before desired use date, whichever is earlier
  5. Environmental documentation research is completed
  6. The Special Recreation use Permit is issued or denied

This process generally takes 30 to 90 days to complete depending upon the complexity of the applicant's operations plan. 

Not all applications submitted receive a permit. Therefore, any action taken before receiving a special recreation permit authorization, such as advertising or expending funds, is premature and at the applicant’s risk.

Alaska Contacts for Special Permits

Anchorage Field Office
4700 BLM Road
Anchorage, AK 99507

(907) 267-1459 or 

Lead for Special Recreational Permits: Jeff Kowalczyk
Email: jkowalcz@blm.gov

Fairbanks District Office
1150 University Ave.
Fairbanks AK 99709-3844

(907) 474-2223

Lead for Special Recreational Permits: Chel Ethun
Email: methun@blm.gov

Glennallen Field Office
P.O. Box 147
Mile 186.5 Glenn Highway
Glennallen, AK 99588

(907) 822-3217 Fax: 
(907) 822-7335