Prepare for the Drive
Many who have driven the Dalton Highway have called it "the ultimate road trip." Proper preparation is essential to having a safe, enjoyable visit.
Before you leave Fairbanks
Due to the remoteness of the Dalton Highway take special care to ensure that your vehicle is ready for the trip.
- Inspect all tires and make sure they are properly inflated
- Check all vehicle fluids
- Replace worn hoses and belts
- Empty your RV's holding tank and fill the water tank
- Purchase groceries and supplies
Bring for your vehicle
- At least two full-sized spare tires mounted on rims
- Tire jack and tools for flat tires
- Emergency flares
- Extra gasoline, motor oil, and wiper fluid
- CB radio
Bring for yourself
- Insect repellent and head net
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Rain jacket and pants
- Warm clothes, including hat and gloves
- First aid kit
- Drinking water
- Ready-to-eat food
- Camping gear, including a sleeping bag
- Personal medications
- Toilet paper and hand sanitizer
- Garbage bags
|Eight Rules of the Road|
- Big trucks have the right of way.
- Always drive with your headlights on so others can see you.
- Keep your headlights and taillights clean so they are visible.
- Stay on the right side of the road.
- Don't stop on bridges or hills.
- Check your rear-view mirror regularly, especially before stopping.
- If you spot wildlife, pull over to a safe spot to park.
- Slow down when passing other vehicles (especially bicyclists and motorcyclists) to lessen the chances of hitting them with mud or flying rocks from your tires.