Brooks Range
Grizzly along the Denali Highway Rafting the Gulkana National Wild River Native woman drying salmon on racks ATV rider on trails near Glennallen Surveyor
BLM>Alaska>Field Offices>Glennallen Home>Subsistence Hunting>FAQs
Print Page

Frequently Asked Questions

1) If my current State of Alaska driver's license shows my physical address will it
     be accepted as one document to prove rural residency?

Yes, A current State of Alaska driver’s license that shows the physical address will suffice as one form of proof of rural residency. 

2) Are minors age 10 - 16 eligible for a federal subsistence permit? 

Yes. Minors under 16 years of age but no less than 10 years old, will need their parent or guardian to sign next to or above the minor’s signature on their permit. If they are under 10 years old, they are not issued a permit (see #3).

3) Can minors under the age of 10 have their own subsistence permits? 

No. 50 CFR, Section 100.6(b) states that “In order to receive a Federal Subsistence Registration Permit or Federal Designated Harvester Permit or designate someone to harvest fish or wildlife for you under a Federal Designated Harvester Permit, you must be old enough to reasonably harvest that species yourself (or under the guidance of an adult).” Any minor, under 10, cannot reasonably harvest big game species themselves, even with adult guidance. This opinion is true for both State of Alaska hunts and Ahtna Community Harvest hunts.

4) Are minors (under 16) or adults required to show a Basic Hunter Education
     card to obtain a federal subsistence permit?

No. However, to obtain a State of Alaska hunting license, a Basic Hunter Education card is required for anyone born after 1986. 

5) Can I harvest a GMU13 Federal Subsistence Moose AND a state GMU13
   Or if I drew a Tier I caribou for GMU 13, can I still hunt
     two federal subsistence caribou for GMU13? 

No, to both….Harvest limits are not additive.  Hunters may not take a species of wildlife in any GMU, if their total take of that species equals or exceeds the harvest limit for the GMU they want to hunt. 

6) What is a Designated Hunter?  

ANY Federally Qualified Subsistence user can designate ANY OTHER Federally Qualified Subsistence user to take GMU13 caribou and moose on their behalf. The Designated Hunter must deliver the taken moose/caribou promptly to that federally qualified hunter. The Designated Hunter CANNOT charge a fee or claim meat for themselves as payment for being a Designated Hunter.

7) As a Designated Hunter, how many Federally Qualified Hunters, can I
     hunt for?

There is no limit on the number you can hunt for.  However, Designated Hunters may not have more than 2 Harvest Limits in possession at any one time.

8) As a Designated Hunter, what permit/licenses do I need to carry in the field?  

You need (1) your Designated Hunter permit, (2) signed permits from the Federally Qualified Subsistence user(s) that you are hunting for, and (3) the AK Hunting License of the Federally Qualified Subsistence user(s) that you are hunting for.

9) I am a convicted felon.  Can I get a federal subsistence-hunting permit? 

It depends on the terms of the conviction. Convicted felons cannot use modern firearms, but can use muzzleloaders, archery equipment, or utilize a Federally Qualified Designated Hunter to harvest game species on their behalf.

10) Can I use a federal subsistence-hunting permit on state or private lands? 

No, Only federal public lands are open to federal subsistence hunting (yellow on the given map). State hunters can however hunt on both federal public lands and state lands.

11) Can I get my GMU13 Federal Subsistence Hunting permit from the BLM
       Fairbanks District Office?

No.  The BLM-Fairbanks office no longer issues federal subsistence permits for GMU13.

12) Can I use my vehicle registration as proof of rural residency?

No.  Vehicles can be registered anywhere and do not adequately represent proof of rural residency.

13) Can I, a federally qualified rural resident, vouch that another person is a
       federally qualified rural resident so they can obtain a federal
       subsistence permit?

Yes.  However, you must be in person and able to show proof of your rural residency.

14) Who can propose changes to the Federal Subsistence Regulations?

Any person or group can submit proposals to change Federal Subsistence Regulations, comment on proposals, or testify at meetings.

15) What regulations are open to proposed changes?

You may propose changes to 1) Federal Subsistence season dates; 2) Harvest limits; 3) Methods and means of harvest; and 4) Customary and traditional use determinations.

16) When can I submit a proposal to change Federal subsistence hunting and trapping regulations?

A call for proposals by the Federal Subsistence Board Office of Subsistence Management to change Federal Subsistence hunting and trapping regulations is issued in January of odd years.  Proposals are accepted for a 45 day period after the call is made.

17) How do I submit a proposal to change Federal Subsistence Hunting and Trapping Regulations?

Directions for submitting proposals can be found on page 15 of the "Subsistence Management Regulations for the Harvest of Wildlife on Federal Public Lands in Alaska."  You may also find directions on the web at the Department of Interior Federal Subsistence Management Program's website's "Propose Regulation Changes."

Mandatory Hunt Reporting

Hunt Report Button that links to the hunt reporting website

Reports are due:
- within 5 days of
- within 15 days after
   close of season

Helpful Links