- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have no prior violations of adoption regulations or convictions of inhumane treatment to animals.
- Keep no more that 4 untitled animals at one facility at any time without written permission.
Facilities must meet these requirements and be constructed before your application will be approved:
- An outside corral with a minimum of 400 square feet (20x20) per animal. Corral should not be too large (more than 50x50), as animals are easier to gentle in smaller corrals.
- All fences and gates must be at least 6 feet high for wild horses over the age of 18 months. Five foot high fences are allowed for gentled horses, yearlings, and burros.
- Fencing material should be 2x6 inch wooden planks spaced no more than one foot apart, rounded pipes, poles, or similar materials that do not pose a hazard to the animal. Small mesh, heavy gauge, woven wire fencing with a 2x6 inch board along the top, center and bottom is acceptable. No barb wire, no electric wire, no T-posts, no high-tensile tubing. Once gentled, the animals may be maintained in pastures or in box stalls with daily turnout.
Shelter shall be available to mitigate the effects of inclement weather and temperature extremes. The requirement is at the discretion of the authorized officer and will vary dependent on the severity of weather in the region. Specific shelter regulations can be found at https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/files/wildhorse_adoption_requirements.pdf.
- Adopters must provide their own vehicles or make private arrangements.
- Standard covered stock trailers and horse trailers large enough for 4 or more horses are generally acceptable, contingent on final approval prior to loading. NO 1-HORSE TRAILERS. Two horse trailers are not allowed unless they are a stock type, with no internal dividers. Animals will ride loose and must have enough space to turn around.
- No pick ups with stock racks.
- Lengthwise and slant-load dividers must be removed.
- NO DROP RAMP TAIL GATES ARE ALLOWED
- Payment may be made by cash, check or money order.
- The adoption fee is the amount of your winning bid.
- Halters will be put on the animal by the BLM staff or contractor if requested, and must be provided by adopters.
YOUR FACILITIES MAY BE INSPECTED PRIOR TO OR AFTER ADOPTION. FACILITIES AND ANIMALS MAY BE INSPECTED AT ANY TIME UNTIL THE TITLE IS ISSUED.