In 1971, wild horses and burros were found roaming across 53.8 million acres of Herd Areas (HAs), of which 42.4 million acres were under the Bureau of Land Management’s (BLM’s) jurisdiction. Today the BLM manages wild horses and burros in subsets of these HAs, known as Herd Management Areas (HMAs) that comprise 31.6 million acres, of which 26.9 million acres are under BLM management.
The Garfield Flat HMA is located approximately ten miles southeast of Hawthorne, Nevada. The topography of the HMA ranges from flat valleys through mountainous terrain from 5,003 feet to 9,973 feet in elevation. The HMA contains approximately 141,800 acres of public and private land within the BLM-Carson City District-Stillwater Field Office. There are only two viable water sources within the HMA boundaries.
Two livestock grazing allotments, Garfield Flat and Belleville, overlap the HMA. Approximately 85 percent of the HMA occurs in the Garfield Flat Allotment with the remaining 15 percent in the Belleville Allotment. The horses primarily use the Garfield Flat Allotment portion of the HMA.
The Appropriate Management Level (AML) for the Garfield Flat HMA has been established at 83-125 wild horsesV