Gebo/Crosby Historic Mining District
The BLM and Hot Springs County Museum and Cultural Center will be working together on a multi-year project to develop a public trail and interpretive site at the Gebo/Crosby Historic Coal Mining District. Gebo/Crosby was part of the original discovery of coal in Wyoming's Big Horn Basin, and was the areas largest producer of coal in the early 20th century. The Jones mine opened in the summer of 1889 as the first commercial production in the District. Later, the Gebo Number 1 Mine produced from the same coal seam. The Towns of Gebo and Crosby, located approximately one mile south, do not appear in the 1900 census, but both were occupied in 1907 during the USGS survey of the area. Mining in this area largely ended in 1938. Many of the facilities are still present and provide good association and continuity for interpretive purposes. Gebo Number 1 Mine and the town of Gebo are shown in the photos.
|Now:||Looted gravesite in Gebo cemetery.|
Looting activities in recent years and general recreation use of the area have increased the priority for interpretive efforts in the Gebo-Crosby Mining District.
The 2006 Worland NPLD event will focus on placing three interpretive signs within the area, and cleaning up trash.