|January 3, 2007|
Contact: Lesley A. Collins
Powder River Regional Coal Team to Meet
The Powder River Regional Coal Team (RCT) will meet Thursday, January 18, 2007 beginning at 9 a.m. at the Wyoming Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, 2211 King Boulevard, in Casper. The RCT will review current and proposed activities in the Powder River coal region including pending coal lease applications. The meeting is open to the public.
The RCT consists of the Governors and BLM State Directors from Wyoming and Montana, and the BLM Deputy State Director of Minerals and Lands in Wyoming. Their are also a number of ex officio members from other federal and state agencies, county governments and Native American tribes.
Specific agenda items for the RCT to consider include:
- Maysdorf II LBA, a new lease application filed by Cordero Mining Co. on September 1, 2006, is adjacent to the Cordero-Rojo mine. Approximately 4,654 acres and 483 million tons of Federal coal are involved.
- Porcupine LBA, a new lease application filed by BTU Western Resources on September 27, 2006, is adjacent to the North Antelope-Rochelle mine. Approximately 5,116 acres and 598 million tons of Federal coal are involved.
- A report on the progress and results of a coal review study in the Powder River Basin being conducted by BLM. This study includes coal development forecasts and an evaluation of cumulative effects for use in the preparation of coal related NEPA documents.
- Update on US Geological Survey coal inventory work.
- RCT will hear a discussion on coal conversion technologies and projects in Wyoming.
- Update on BLM LBA processing and processing schedule.
- Other Coal Lease Applications and issues that may arise prior to the meeting.
The meeting is a forum for public discussion on federal coal management issues of concern in the Powder River Basin area. Any party interested in providing comments or data related to pending applications may do so in writing to: State Director (922), BLM Wyoming State Office, P.O. Box 1828, Cheyenne, Wyo. 82003, no later than January 5, 2007, or by addressing the RCT with their concerns at the meeting on January 18, 2007.
For more information, contact Bob Janssen, BLM Wyoming regional coal coordinator, at 307-775-6206, or Rebecca Spurgin, BLM Montana regional coal coordinator, at 406-896-5080.