October 16, 2006
Contact: Lesley A. Collins
BLM prepares EIS on Coal lease application:
Scoping meeting set for November 1, 2006
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Casper Field Office is requesting public comments on a federal coal lease application received from Antelope Coal Company for a coal tract in the Powder River Basin. BLM is preparing an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for this lease application and is requesting public comments regarding issues and resource information.
Antelope Coal Company filed an application with BLM for a maintenance tract of Federal coal adjacent to the company’s Antelope Mine in Campbell and Converse Counties . This tract, which was applied for as a lease by application (LBA) under the provisions of 43 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 3425.1, is called the West Antelope II Tract . The tract includes approximately 429.7 million tons of in-place Federal coal , and would allow the mine to maintain production rates and extend the life of the mine.
Major issues that have been identified include:
- potential conflicts between existing and proposed oil and gas development including coalbed natural gas and coal mining
- potential impacts to big game herds and hunting
- potential impacts to sage grouse
- potential impacts to listed threatened and endangered species
- potential health impacts related to blasting
- potential cumulative impacts of coal leasing decisions combined with other existing and proposed development in the Wyoming Powder River Basin
- potential site specific and cumulative impacts on air and water quality.
On November 1, 2006, BLM will hold a public scoping meeting at 7:00 p.m. at the Best Western Douglas Inn, 1450 Riverbend Drive, Douglas, Wyoming. The public is invited to attend the scoping meeting and submit comments or concerns to be considered in the LBA process.
Please submit written comments to the BLM Casper Field Office, Attn: Nancy Doelger, 2987 Prospector Drive, Casper, Wyoming 82604. Written comments or resource information may be sent to the BLM Casper Field Office. Comments or questions may also be sent by facsimile to the attention of Nancy Doelger at 307-261-7587; or sent electronically to: email@example.com. Please put West Antelope II LBA Tract /Nancy Doelger in the subject line. Comments are due December 1, 2006.
- BLM -