June 13, 2006
Contact: Rey Adame
BLM places partial fire restrictions in Rock Springs Field Office Area
Due to dry conditions and high fire danger, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is implementing partial fire restrictions in Sweetwater County beginning June 20, 2006 at noon.
Under a partial closure the following acts are prohibited:
- Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, charcoal barbecue, or grills except in designated recreation sites on federal lands. The use of portable stoves, lanterns using gas, jellied petroleum, pressurized liquid fuel or fully enclosed (sheepherder type) wood burning stoves (piped) with a ¼' spark arrester type screen are permitted.
- Welding, or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame or arc except in cleared areas of at least 10 feet in radius with a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher with a minimum rating of at least 2A.
- Smoking, except in an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation area site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
- Using an explosive requiring fuse type blasting caps.
- Operating a chainsaw without a USDA or SAE approved spark arrester properly installed and in effective working order, a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher with a minimum rating of 2A, and one round pointed shovel with an overall length of a least 36 inches.
- Discharge of fireworks.
These fire restrictions are in addition to the year-round wildfire prevention restrictions on BLM-administered public lands in Wyoming.
Violation of this Fire Prevention Order is punishable by a fine of not more than $100,000, or imprisonment of not more than 12 months, or both. (43 CFR 9212.4 and 18 U.S.C. 3571). Restitution for total suppression and damage costs incurred will be borne by the violator.
For more information on BLM fire restrictions or conditions, contact Kyle Cowan, BLM Western Zone Fire Management Officer, at (307) 352-0217, or visit the BLM Wyoming Fire page at http://www.wy.blm.gov/wy_fire_restrictions.