February 9, 2006
Contact: Rey Adame (307) 352-0399
Judy Mueller (307) 352-0284
BLM to Host United Blood Services Blood Drive
United Blood Services will hold a blood drive at the Bureau of Land Management Rock Springs Field Office Friday, Feb. 10, from 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The location of the blood drive allows BLM employees to donate, but the public is also invited to participate.
Those who want to donate blood should bring a photo ID, a list of medications taken in the past month and social security number or United Blood Services assigned donor number. Donors must weigh at least 110 lbs. and be at least 17 years of age.
Those interested in participating should not donate if they have:
- Cold or flu symptoms on the day of donation
- Taken oral antibiotics three days before donation
- Had hepatitis after the age of 11
- A history of cancer in the past year
- Had a tattoo, acupuncture, accidental needlestick or come in contact with another’s blood in the past 12 months
- Received a blood transfusion in the past 12 months; have had or been exposed to malaria within the past 12 months
- Been pregnant in the past six weeks; have been treated for syphilis or gonorrhea in the past 12 months
- Used a needle to inject nonprescription drugs (including steroids); or are at risk for HIV exposure.
Those planning to donate should eat well before coming to donate, drink plenty of water in the 24 hours before and limit the caffeine they consume on the day of the donation.
For more information on the BLM blood drive, or to sign up for a donation time, contact Judy Mueller at (307) 352-0284 or Sandy Thomas at 362-1835.