Gebo/Crosby was part of the original discovery of coal in Wyoming's Big Horn Basin, and was the areas largest producer of coal in the early 20th century. The Jones mine opened in the summer of 1889 as the first commercial production in the District. Later, the Gebo Number 1 Mine produced from the same coal seam.
The towns of Gebo and Crosby, located approximately one mile south, do not appear in the 1900 census, but both were occupied in 1907 during the USGS survey of the area.
Mining in this area largely ended in 1938. Many of the facilities are still present and provide good association and continuity for interpretive purposes.
In celebration of the Antiquities Act, the 2006 Worland NPLD event focused on placing three interpretive signs within the area, and cleaning up trash.
The 2008 NPLD event is scheduled for Saturday, October 25, and will focus on improving the old rail beds for walking and bicycling trails, and establishment of a designated parking area.
|Last updated: 01-13-2011|
|USA.GOV | No Fear Act | DOI | Disclaimer | About BLM | Notices | Social Media Policy|