<< Back to Lesson Plans
Explore the Mormon Trail Lesson Plan
ABOUT THIS LESSON
The lesson introduces students to the National Mormon Trail used for westward migration starting in 1846.
The lesson covers units on western expansion, Mormon Trail, comparisons, and U.S. history from 1846-1869.
United States History Curriculum
- LA2.3.5, LA3.1A.5, SS4.2.2;SS4.4.3
- Historical Thinking Standard 1, 3, 4, and 5
- Students will learn about the Mormon Trail and be able to recognize related vocabulary.
- Students will identify reasons for moving to the Salt Lake region.
- Students will compare social conceptions about travel across time.
The materials are available on line or may be printed for use.
- Mormon Trail Overview
- Overview Fill in the Blank Activity
- Mormon Trail Vocabulary Review
- Vocabulary Word Find
- Rules of the Road Worksheet
Introduce students to the Mormon Trail through group discussion and activities.
Compare travel in 1846 with travel today. Create a modern-day rules of the road guide..
To Day One Lesson >>