Whiskey Springs Homestead, 
Custer County, Idaho

Click Here to Download the Whiskey Springs Video

This historic homestead includes a single home, out buildings and stable and is located along what was once the Mackay to Challis wagon Road. Whiskey Springs served as a stage stop around 1910 and in 1918, the development of the town of Chilly caused the decline of stage traffic. It was later used as a gas station and a rest stop in the 1930s and was an infamous point of distribution during the prohibition days of the 1920s.

The video features interveiws with BLM Archaeologist Carol Hearne and homestead descendants Gary Larter and Sharron Larter-Akers.


Bureau of Land Management, Homestead Act 1862-2012