20 miles southeast of Eugene, Oregon.
This 14-mile, paved, multi-use trail follows the route of the now-abandoned Oregon Pacific & Eastern Railroad line, along the scenic shores of the Row (rhymes with “cow”) River and Dorena Reservoir. There are many trailheads and places to stop and enjoy views of Dorena Lake and the surrounding farm country. Several quaint, covered bridges are located nearby, as is the historic Bohemia Mining Area, which features remnants of late 1800s gold mines. The trestle bridge at Harms Park is one of several locations immortalized on the silver screen. Movies filmed along the railway include “Stand By Me” with River Phoenix, “Emperor of the North” with Ernest Borginine, and, in 1926, “The General” with Buster Keaton.
From Eugene, take Interstate 5 south to the Cottage Grove exit (#174), and turn east onto Row River Road. Travel for 3.5 miles. Turn right onto Layng Road and proceed 1.2 miles to the corner of Layng and Mosby Creek Roads.
Picnicking, hiking, biking, horseback riding, and wildflower viewing, wildlife viewing, interpretation, and historic site.
The Mosby Creek Covered Bridge, located just off the trail, is a white bridge built in 1920. Extensive restoration work was completed in 1990. Row Point
survives as a remnant of a native prairie community, featuring showy displays of wildflowers during spring.
Permits, Fees, Limitations
The trail is an 8-foot-wide paved path that allows for wheelchair access.
Camping and Lodging
No camping is allowed along the trail.
Food and Supplies
No food or water is available on the trail. Several general stores are located in Cottage Grove, Dorena (across Row River Road from the trail), and Culp Creek (0.25 mile east on Row River Road).
No first aid is available along the trail. BLM Rangers or Lane County Sheriff’s Deputies may be on patrol in the area to provide assistance. The nearest hospital is located in Cottage Grove.
The trail is located in a forested environment. Visitors can expect warm, dry conditions in the summer, and cool, damp conditions in the spring, fall, and winter. Travel to the site is on two-lane, rural roads, which often have heavy truck traffic. Parking and restroom facilities are located at 2- to 3-mile intervals along the trail. This day-use area is open daily from dawn to dusk. Trailhead and interpretive facilities are provided. Visitors should not enter old mine tunnels, which are both hazardous and located on private property.
BLM - Eugene District Office
2890 Chad Drive
Eugene, OR 97440
Tel: (541) 683-6600