Contact the local BLM office (or State and/or local Film Commission) before submitting an application. The permitting process and items needed may vary depending on the location chosen and the type of filming proposed.
For minimal impact filming in “popular filming locations”, complete the following and submit by mail or by fax to the appropriate office:
- Land Use Application Form 2920 . Complete only the application section and sign the form. BLM will complete the "permit" portion.
- Detailed description of filming activity (pdf file 54KB). Use this form and submit with application.
- Provide a map showing the specific location(s) requested (consult BLM contact for map of area if needed).
- Cost recovery and rental fees (as discussed with the local BLM film permit coordinator).
- Certificate of Insurance naming Department of the Interior - BLM as co insured. Contact the appropriate BLM office for specific dollar amount.
Depending on the location, time of production, and type of production, BLM may impose additional requirements, such as bonding, reimbursement for overtime costs, etc.
PAYMENT OF FEES: Fees may be paid by credit card or checks payable to U.S.D.I. – BLM. The public contact specialist in each BLM office will assist in accepting credit card payments.
BONDING: Permittees may be required to provide cash bonds to assure reclamation of sets or sensitive locations.
LARGE PRODUCTIONS AND REQUESTS TO FILM OUTSIDE POPULAR LOCATIONS will usually require an onsite pre-application conference with BLM personnel. Although the permitting process may not vary, the time to process will usually be at least 30 - 60 days. Contact the appropriate BLM office for details.