"Take It Outside" Successes
BLM’s Take It Outside: Connect to Your Public Lands” program has provided opportunities to over 109,000 children and families to get outside, explore and learn about BLM lands. Since 2008, BLM has awarded over $600,000 though an incentive funding program to help BLM field offices and partners develop projects and programs that get children and families to “Take It Outside!”
BLM's $600,000 investment has leveraged over $3.6 million dollars in partner cash and/or in-kind donations. Each funded project represents an important investment in future generations and will provide benefits for many years to come.
Here is a list of field projects that created opportunities for over 35,000 kids and their families to participate in outdoor and stewardship activities on BLM public lands.
- Campbell Creek Water Education Festival, Anchorage Field Office.
- School Partner Program Campbell Creek Science Center, Anchorage Field Office.
- North Kaibab Kids Overnight Camp for Paiute Elders and Children, Arizona Strip Field Office/Vermilion Cliffs National Monument
- Tohono O'odham Nation Horsemanship Camp, Tucson Field Office.
- Youth in Wilderness, Tucson Field Office.
- Geospatial Technology for Outdoor Recreation and Stewardship, Las Cienegas NCA
- Color Country Natural Resource Camp, AZ Strip, Field Office and GSENM.
- Yevingkarere Camp Connecting Paiute Indian Youth to Traditional Homelands, AZ Strip, Field Office.
- OHV Ambassador program, Phoenix, Field Office.
- Sand Canyon Environmental Education Program, Ridgecrest Field Office.
- Lost Coast Life Lab, King Range NCA.
- Desert Discovery Trail, Barstow Field Office Desert Discovery Center (DDC)
- Access Nature-Bringing Children Back to Nature California Desert District
- Palm Springs-South Coast Field Office
- Kids Making a Difference, Tree Planting/Restoration with 3rd graders, Hollister Field Office.
- Girl Scouts Explore Outdoors, CA Desert District Field Office.
- Salmon River Watershed Education Field Trips, Redding Field Office
- Take It Outside, Needles Field Office.
- Connect to the Land, Headwaters Habitat Life Science/Social Science field trips for Eureka School children; Arcata Field Office.
- Humboldt County Historic Restoration, Arcata Field Office, Headwaters Forest Reserve
- OHV Education Activity Cards; Imperial Sand Dunes, El Centro Field Office.
- “Messing About in Boats” River Field Trips, Montrose Field Office.
- Learning on the Land, Colorado/San Juan Public Lands Center
- Family Stewardship Project, Durango Field Office.
- Digging for Clues, McInnis NCA
- Hilltop Experiential Learning Project - Grand Junction Field Office
- Salida Boys and Girls Club River Watch, Salida Field Office
- Castle Rock Field Days, Canyons of the Ancients National Monument
- Dunes Restoration with Jupiter, FL High School students, Jackson, Field Office.
- Raptors of the Season-Birds of Prey Educational Field Trips, Coeur d’Alene FO;
- Interpretation/Educational Kiosks/Brochures for “Hell’s Half Acre”, Idaho Falls Field Office.
- Wild Science Explorers River Field Trips, Cottonwood Field Office.
- Kids Club Salmon Surfers, Cottonwood Field Office.
- Shoshone School Outdoor Program, Shoshone Field Office.
- Natural Resources Youth Camp, Missoula Field Office.
- ROCKS After School Federal Recreation Program, Miles City Field Office.
- Journey through the Monument, Lewistown Field Office
- Kids Fishing Day, Miles City Field Office.
- Garnet Ghost Town Days, Missoula Field Office.
- Classrooms Unleashed: Nevada Outdoor School Science/Environmental Education for Youth, Winnemucca Field Office/Carson City, Field Office.
- Kids in Caves Exploration Field Trips, Roswell Field Office.
- State Fair Outreach and Recreation Site Passes, NM State Office.
- Free Fishing Day, Vale District Office.
- Cave Exploration/YCC/Trash Out Cache In, Vale District Office.
- School Forestry Tour, Roseburg District Office.
- Camp Yamhill Overnight Camp for Portland Inner City Youth, OR State Office
- San Juan Islands Experiential Education Outdoor Classroom, San Juan Islands, Field Office.
- Celebrating Salmon, Coos Bay District Office.
- Resources and People Camp, Klamath Falls Field Office.
- McGregor Park Environmental Education Program, Medford Field Office
- Table Rocks Environmental Education Program, Medford Field office
- Glide Middle School Water Quality Monitoring Program, Swiftwater Field Office, Roseburg District.
- Junior Pioneer Program, Vale District.
- Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area Quest, Newport
- Investing in Stewardship, Roseburg Field Office.
- Family Friendly Outreach, Vale District Office
- Color Country Resource Camp for High School Kids, Saint George Field Office.
- Family Hiking Series, Cedar City Field Office.
- Nature High Summer Camp, Salt Lake Field Office.
- Conservation Outdoor Recreation and Education (CORE) overnight camp trips/service projects for youth, Casper Field Office.