U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIORBUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
 
Print Page
Preservation Board Report June 2013
 
June 4-6, 2013
Phone Conference and Lync
 
Attendees: Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Federal Preservation Officer Robin Hawks; Tribal Liaison Officer Jerry Cordova; Deputy State Preservation Officers (DPO): Robert King (Alaska), Susanne Rowe (Arizona), Charlotte Hunter (California), Daniel Haas (Colorado), Kirk Halford (Idaho), Gary Smith (Montana), Tom Burke (Nevada), Signa Larralde (New Mexico), Stan McDonald (Oregon), Byron Loosle (Utah), Ranel Capron (Wyoming); Field Managers: Victoria Barr (Caliente, NV), E. Lynn Burkett (Lakeview, CO), Rick Miller (Newcastle, WY), Michael Stiewig (Vernal, UT), Specialists: Georges “Buck” Damone (Buffalo, WY) and Nathan Thomas (Cedar City FO, UT). John Sullivan (Eastern States) was unable to attend.
 
Additional Attendees:
Erik Hein, Executive Director, National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers (NCSHPO) and Nancy Brown, Advisory Council on Historic Preservation (ACHP) Liaison to the BLM. Additional BLM attendees: Emily Palus, Acting WO-240 Division Chief, Kate Winthrop, Archaeologist, Cynthia Herhahn, National Cultural Resources Data Sharing Coordinator, and Dan Martin, Fire Archaeologist.
 
Welcome and Partner Introductions
Robin opened the meeting by thanking Kirk Halford for setting up the Lync desktop sharing system for the meeting and providing Lync training for Board members. She welcomed the new Board members, Nathan Thomas, Victoria Barr, E. Lynn Burkett, and Rick Miller, and introducing the new Executive Director of NCSHPO and ACHP Liaison Nancy Brown. Erik talked about current priorities for NCSHPO, including his intention to focus on external communications. Nancy described her ongoing work with the Board and individual Board members. She the ACHP is available to assist with training and reminded the DPOs of the role of the ACHP in the BLM-State protocol revision process. The Board committed to meeting face-to-face with the ACHP and NCSHPO next time the meeting is in Washington, D.C.
 
WO-240 Division Update
Robin briefed the Board on the recent changes within the WO-240 Division. Byron Loosle was selected as the Division Chief and will report at the end of July. Emily Palus, Deputy Division Chief, has returned from a 14 month absence on detail to the U.S. House Appropriations Committee and on leave. She will be Acting Division Chief until Byron reports for duty. Robin has returned to her position as BLM Preservation Officer following her 9 month detail to the White House Council on Environmental Quality. Scott Foss has been selected as the BLM Senior Paleontologist and will report for duty in July.
 
Programmatic Approaches to Emergency Stabilization and Restoration (ESR)
Kirk led a discussion on opportunities for improving the consistency and efficiency of BLM State Office approaches to National Historic Preservation Act Section 106 compliance for ESR. Kirk asked the Board how they currently approached ESR inventory needs.   Several states had, used to have or were in the process of acquiring on-call Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contracts and offered to share good Statements of Work. BLM Utah State Office has an assistance agreement with the Utah Department of Natural Resources that has been effective. Kirk recommended that the Board collect information on efficient inventory techniques and develop pilot research projects on the impacts of alternative seeding methods. Fire funding for pilot projects may be available and ideas for pilot projects were discussed. The Board responded favorably but also emphasized the importance of flexibility to individualize approaches for different sites or landscapes. Alaska, for example, has a different approach to ESR than other states. Ranel asked the Board for information on current or proposed projects designed to prevent damage to petroglyphs from either fire or ESR.  
 
Action Item: Kirk Halford will prepare guidelines on developing one or more pilot project proposals to assess and compare the potential adverse effects of post-fire restoration methods. 
 
Action Item: The Board will send references on the effects of restoration to Dan Martin, BLM Fire Archaeologist, and Dan will assemble a bibliography and post it on the SharePoint site. 
 
Action Item: Robin will post folders for sharing of IDIQ Statements of Work and other documents.
 
Budget Discussion
Emily provided an overview of the current 2013, 2014, and 2015 budgets.  After the 7.5% sequester cut, additional 1050 one time funds were allocated in the FY 2013 Annual Work Plan (AWP).  For 2014, we continue to address the impacts from the “sequester.” As of this meeting there is no schedule for the Planning Target Allocation (PTA) for FY 2014.  Emily reminded Board members that it was increasingly critical to educate offices that it is inappropriate to use 1050 funds for National Historic Preservation Act Section 106 purposes. Benefitting Sub-Activities should fund all Section 106 work.
 
National Programmatic Agreement Implementation Round Robin
The DPOs reported on the implementation of the 2013 national Programmatic Agreement provisions to review and revise BLM-SHPO protocols and on improve tribal relations. The Board would like to exchange program-specific protocol appendices and would like assistance from the WO in integrating Section 106 into National Environmental Policy Act public notification systems, “NEPA logs.”   
 
Action Item: Robin will post folders for sharing documents on BLM-SHPO protocols and work with WO-210 and the National Operations Center to determine if Section 106 status could be added to NEPA logs that are posted on State web sites.      
           
8100 Manual Review and Revision.
Byron Loosle led the discussion about the 8110 Manual Section, Dan led the discussion on the 8130 Manual Section, Buck led the discussion on the 8140 Manual Section, and Tom led the discussion on the 8150 Manual Section. The Board discussed outstanding issues and provided feedback to the Manual Section teams. All teams anticipate completing final draft by the current June 28 deadline. The individual Manual Sections will then be forwarded to WO 240 for a consistency review and to initiate the WO coordination process. 
 
Action Item: Manual Section review and revision teams will take Board feed-back and final drafts for WO review and coordination.Vicky and E. Lynn volunteered to work on the 8140 Manual Section, Rick and Nate volunteered to work on the 8110 Manual, and Susanne will work on the 8150. 
 
Update on Tribal Consultation and Sacred Sites Policy, and the new Direction for the Tribal Consultation Manual Section
Jerry briefed the Board on the ongoing tribal summit in Utah that is related to the Cerberus Operation collections. He then provided an update on Department of the Interior (DOI) efforts to implement the interagency 2012 Sacred Sites Memorandum of Understanding and March 2013 Action Plan to Guide Protection of Indian Sacred Sites. Jerry also reported that WO-240 is considering revision of Manual Section 8120 to include a broader range of authorities, similar to the old 8160 Manual Section. This would be consistent with DOI tribal consultation policy and responses of tribes to BLM’s initiative to improve its consultation policies and practice.
 
Programmatic Approaches to Interstate Transmission Projects
Ranel, Kate and Nate gave a presentation on current high voltage projects. They reviewed recent guidance, highlighted key points and lessons learned, major challenges, and success strategies. They emphasized the importance of early and consistent involvement of the ACHP, BLM management, the applicable DPO(s). They also promoted use of communications plans and detailed strategies for responding to post-Record of Decision events. Ranel advocated developing and sharing template documents such as Programmatic Agreements, Memoranda of Agreement, letters to the ACHP and tribes, generic communication protocols, Historic Preservation Inventory Plans, and Historic Preservation Treatment Plans. Kate briefed the Board on the weekly Transmission calls that she hosts and the anticipated new Presidential Memorandum on transmission siting. She emphasized the need to continue to seek ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our process.  
 
Action Item: Robin will post folders for sharing of templates and other tools; Kate will keep the Board informed on national level efforts to provide additional guidance and tools to help agencies.
 
Cultural Resources Data Management
Stan briefed the Board on the current BLM policy for sharing of cultural resources data and asked the Board if supplementary policy was needed. The Board discussed the competing responsibilities of protecting cultural resources data under ARPA, respecting confidential tribal information, and having an open and efficient decision-making process with regard to planning and implementation. The Board agreed that the BLM should develop supplemental policy that establishes criteria for sharing cultural resources data. 
 
Action Item: Stan will share a draft for Oregon/Washington for consideration on a national basis.  
 
December 2013 Meeting
Susanne volunteered to host the meeting in Arizona if Board travel is authorized.

 
Last updated: 07-08-2013