U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIORBUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
 
Print Page
Preservation Board Meeting
June 3 and 4, 2003
Lander, WYO
 
In Attendance: Preservation Officer Robin Burgess (WO); Deputy Preservation Officers (DPO) Bob King (AK); Gary Stumpf (AZ); Stephen Horne (CA); Dan Haas (CO); Stan McDonald (ID); Gary Smith (MT); Pat Barker (NV); Garth Portillo (UT); Troy Ferone (ES) and Tim Nowak (WY); Field Office Managers Gail Acheson (AZ); Jim Dryden (ES); Sue Richardson (OR) and Maggie Wyatt (UT); and Field Office Specialists Carol-Anne Murray (WY) and Howard Smith (AK). DPO Stephen Fosberg and Richard Hanes were unable to attend.
 
Also Attending: Marilyn Nickels (WO); Alan Stanfill (Advisory Council on Historic Preservation); Richard Brook (WO); Mike Thomas (WO); and John Douglas (WO); Deb Salt (WO); and Russ Tanner (WO).
 
Recorder: Ranel Capron (WY)
Facilitator: Linda Clark (ID)
 
Location: Best Western, Lander WYO.
 
Preservation Board Presentation. Service recognition plaques were given to Board members Gail Acheson, Sue Richardson and Carol-Anne Murray.
 
8100 Manuals. John Douglas and Robin Burgess summarized responses to Information Memorandum (IM) 2003-088, that forwarded 8100 Manuals to the field and all WO groups for comment. Overall, WO received limited response and the majority of comments were editorial. The Board approved recommended responses to the majority of comments, but requested some additional clarification in the H-8120-1 Handbook on Guidelines For Conducting Tribal Consultations.
 
Marilyn Nickels notified the Board that Stephanie Damadio has completed a draft of the 8160 Manual on Curation and that it will be ready for review later this summer. Richard Brook notified the Board that he, Richard Hanes, Gail Acheson, Steve Fosberg, Robert King, and Megg Heath had completed a draft of the 8170 Manual on Interpretation.
 
The Board discussed how best to meet the spirit of item 3b of the BLM national Programmatic Agreement with respect to the final manuals. Item 3b commits BLM to revise the BLM 8100 Manuals in consultation with the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation (Council), National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers (NCSHPO), and the State Historic Preservation Officers (SHPOs). The Interim 8100 Manuals were prepared in fulfillment of this commitment. The Board recommended that WO-240 send a copy of the current proposed revision to the Council, NCSHPO and involved SHPOs prior to beginning the surname process.
Finally, the Board discussed how to incorporate anticipated program specific guidance on compliance into the manuals. The Board recommended that new guidance be issued initially as IMs or Information Bulletins (IBs) and subsequently included as handbooks or supplements to the 8140 Manual. IMs and IBs take less time to prepare and may be renewed if appropriate, while manuals are a long-term effort.
 
Action Items: Gary Smith and Tim Nowak will assist Stephanie Damadio in completing 8160, and Richard Hanes, Gail Acheson, Bob King, Steve Fosberg, and Megg Heath will assist Richard Brook with 8170. The Board will send any additional suggestions for revision of H-8120-1 to WO-240 by 16 June 2003. WO-240 will send the draft final of all manuals except 8160 to the Solicitors office by 15 July. By 15 Aug, WO-240 will incorporate Solicitor comments and send the draft final manuals to the Board for approval. On 15 Sep, WO-240 will send the manuals to the Council and SHPOs and begin the surname process on 1 Oct, with the goal of completing by 1 Dec 2003. Manual 8160 will be available for Board review this summer, circulated for field review and comment this fall, presented in draft final form at the December 2003 Board meeting and completed by the June 2004 Board meeting.
 
Executive Order #13287 Implementation. Alan Stanfill of the Council presented a synopsis of the new Executive Order, “Preserve America,” which calls for federal agencies to demonstrate leadership in the preservation and use of historic properties. E. O. #13287 establishes new accountability for agencies’ historic property management practices and directs agencies to seek opportunities to partner with local communities to implement strategies for preserving historic properties and promoting local economic development through heritage tourism. The E.O. also establishes new rules on Council acceptance of private donations and requires the Council to develop recommendations for encouraging and recognizing initiative, creativity and efficiency in meeting the goals of the E.O. and the NHPA. The Council is working with other agencies to develop reporting guidelines. Richard Brook then presented WO-240 initiatives for meeting E. O. goals and requirements, including an IB and incorporation of references to the E.O. in America’s Priceless Heritage.
 
Trails. Deb Salt, BLM National Scenic and Historic Trails Coordinator, presented an overview of the Trails program. The program faces challenges in the areas of planning, inter-agency and international trails management, and National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) compliance. An interagency data standards development project will provide a consistent means of assessing and monitoring trail condition. Draft standards were available for comment through 31 May, but Deb invited the Board to send any additional comments prior to 20 June. Tim Nowak presented Wyoming’s proposed state trail plan, currently under consideration by WO. This would provide a standardized approach to assessing and establishing management goals for trails and trail segments.
 
Action Item. The Board will forward any comments on the draft inter-agency trail data standards by 20 June. A working group composed of Tim Nowak, Robin Burgess, Mike Thomas, Russ Tanner, Tom Burke and Garth Portillo volunteered to assist Deb in developing guidance on the relationship between BLM's National Trails System Act and National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) responsibilities.
 
Fire Program. Stephen Horne presented the special challenges and current initiatives of the BLM Fire Archeology program. Challenges include the organizational structure of the program, the need for additional archaeologists with fire training, or “red cards,” the emergency nature of wildfire response, and the high priority placed on completing fuels management initiatives. Stephen requested the Board’s assistance in developing guidance on cultural resources compliance responsibilities for fire and fuel related activities, including planning, fuels management, wildfire suppression, post-fire restoration, and sharing of sensitive information in support of fire planning and suppression. The Board agreed to review the proposed guidance and expressed particular interest in clarification from the fire program regarding decision points for designation of “let burn” polygons. The Board also stressed that guidance must be completed soon in order to assist the field this fire season.
 
Action Item. Howard Smith, Pat Barker, Stan McDonald, Tom Burke, and Stephen Horne volunteered to assist Kate Winthrop in development of an IM and the Board agreed to review the proposed guidance. This guidance may later be developed into a handbook for the 8140 Manual.
 
Overview of Budget & Strategic Planning. Richard Brook gave a presentation on the FY03-05 budget outlook and ongoing Department of Interior strategic planning efforts, including how these might affect the cultural resources management program in this planning cycle, and how they are related to the requirements under the new Executive Order. The final figure for FY2003 was $15.257M. The program did well in Challenge Cost Share, giving up $500K but receiving back $950K. For FY 2004, we were initially told the target was $14.7M. It will actually be $15.575M, including $600K for National Landscape Conservation Service and $182 for At Risk, down from the FY2003 figure of $195K. We will continue to use current program element codes in FY2004, but WO-880 will “crosswalk” our existing PEs to DOI work activities. The FY2005 budget included a $3.9M over target request for Preserve America and a second over target request for Monitoring. FY2005 is under review by the Department.
 
Richard distributed a copy of the draft DOI strategic plan and discussed implications for current and new E.O. reporting requirements. The Board considered the challenges of gathering informative and comparable information on archaeological site condition and recommended that we continue to use existing methods for monitoring sites, assessing their condition, and reporting their condition as stable or deteriorating as we do in our annual reports.
 
Data Sharing. Linda Clark briefed the Board on ongoing efforts of the BLM Data Users Group (DUG), an interagency group working to build consistency across state lines in development of electronic site information databases. Linda also refreshed the group on our working relationship with Gnomon, Inc. Gnomon, Inc. is in the third year of a five-year support contract to BLM. Linda emphasized that BLM is currently in a transition between its field support efforts, in conjunction with SHPOs, and developing data standards that meet BLM State and WO information needs. Project Tracker, designed to help field offices track compliance related activities, is now available for trial in Wyoming. Linda then asked the Board for formal approval of a BLM minimum standard for recording site location using Geographical Positioning Units, beginning with a minimum +/- 20 meter standard. Proposed language had been circulated to the DUG and the Board, some requested revisions have been incorporated, and the Board agreed to implement the proposed standards, with a phase-in schedule. Discussion emphasized that these standards are minimum and will be further tightened in future; also that they do not apply to detailed site mapping.


Action Item. Richard Brook, Linda Clark, Eric Ingbar, Carol-Anne Murray, Pat Barker, Stan McDonald, and Troy Ferone agreed to work with Linda Clark to draft a IB on GPS data standards; to help define State and WO cultural resources information needs; and ensure that reporting requirements under the E.O. and DOI Strategic Plan are incorporated into the design of Project Tracker.
 
OHV Working Group Update. Stephen Horne gave a presentation on current Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) route designations in the California desert. The cultural resources compliance requirements for this effort are currently subject of a NHPA Section 106 consultation. Robin Burgess handed out copies of the OHV national plan. Initially, Recreation did not intend to include route designations in the current round of plan amendments and revisions, but has now decided to include these where possible. Robin asked the Board for assistance in developing guidance to inform ongoing planning efforts that include route designation in other areas and states; and define the role of cultural resources management in monitoring route condition and future route management. The Board agreed to reactivate the OHV working group to develop national guidance on NHPA Section 106 responsibilities for OHV route designation.
 
Action Item. The Board agreed to renew the OHV working group to develop guidance on NHPA Section 106 guidance for route designation before the next Board meeting. Members will be Pat Barker, Chair, Robin Burgess, Gary Stumpf, Dan Haas, Joan Oxendine and Garth Portillo. Board members will work with Jim Keeler, Terry Heslin and Bill Gibson from the Recreation Group.
 
APDs/Leasing & Section 106. Robin Burgess mentioned the recent IB on APD processing and cultural resources, recognized Glade Hadden’s key role in its development and thanked the Board for its assistance in review. She mentioned that Field Offices would have an opportunity to provide feedback on implementation of recommended strategies in Feb 2004.
Robin then reviewed correspondence from the Council on consideration of effects to cultural properties, especially traditional cultural properties, prior to the APD stage of project approval, and the commitment by the BLM Director and the Forest Service Chief to work with the Council on this matter. Garth Portillo summarized the history of lease appeals and lawsuits over compliance with the NHPA prior to leasing.


Action Items. Robin Burgess will work with WO-300 and the Solicitor’s office on the status of on-going legal actions regarding NHPA Section 106 requirements for leasing. A working group consisting of Robin Burgess, Garth Portillo, Tom Burke, Gary Smith, Maggie Wyatt, Tim Nowak and Steve Fosberg committed to assist with developing guidance on this issue.
 
Brief Updates.
Foundations Course: Bob King presented the status of the Foundations Course, and plans for a dry run in September of 2003, along with future proposals for more advanced classes at the Training Center. 

DOE PUMP III Grant: Tim Nowak and Ranel Capron presented a brief description of the Wyoming portion of the Gnomon, Inc. DOE PUMP III grant project. 

Heritage Web Page: Robin Burgess briefed the Board on a WO initiative led by Megg Heath to review the WO web page and formulate recommendations for tailoring it to key audiences. The Board responded that the effort should consider the role of Field Office and State Office heritage web pages.

BLM Science Program: Robin also briefed the Board on a WO initiative to identify opportunities for funding and implementation of cultural resources research within the framework of the BLM science program, and possible roles for USGS and the CESU Network.
 
 

 
Last updated: 10-21-2009