Preservation Board Meeting
December 4 and 5, 2001
Alexandria, VA 
In Attendance: Preservation Officer John Douglas (WO); Deputy Preservation Officers (DPO) Bob King (AK), Gary Stumpf (AZ), Russ Kaldenberg (CA), Dan Haas (CO), Stan McDonald (ID), Gary Smith (MT), Steve Fosberg (NM), Richard Hanes (OR), Garth Portillo (UT), Troy Ferone (ES) and Tim Nowak (WY); and Field Office Specialists Carol-Anne Murray (WY) and Kirk Halford (CA).

Also Attending
: Pat Walsh (NTC), Eric Ingbar (Gnomon, Inc.), Marilyn Nickels (WO), Alan Stanfill (WO), Richard Brook (WO), Dan Martin (WO)

Recorder
: Ranel Capron (WY)
Facilitator: Linda Clark (ID)
Location: Old Town Holiday Inn, Alexandria, VA.


Meeting Highlights
Preservation Board Representation. Welcome to new Board members Carol-Anne Murry, Field Representative from Lander, Wyoming and Troy Ferone, Eastern States Deputy Preservation Officer from the Milwaukee Field Office. Gale Acheson, manager for the Yuma Field Office in Arizona will be the new Field Manager representative. The Board needs one more Field Manager representative prior to the June meeting.

Land Use Planning
. Richard Brook has been identified as the Washington Office heritage staff contact for planning issues. The Board discussed the level of cultural resource information and the kinds of long-term management decisions that are needed in land use plans, funding needs for these efforts and how the funding will be distributed (in the planning budget or the cultural budget), and the need to identify and work toward involving the public and Native American Tribes in identifying historic preservation issues during the planning process. Also discussed, was the need for consultation with Indian tribes and the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO's) at the outset of planning.

Action Items
: Issue an Instruction Memorandum (IM) to clarify the level of cultural resource information and the kinds of long-term management decisions needed in land use plans. Identify two or three projects that are being done at the field office level to synthesize cultural resource data for planning and have these projects presented at the June Preservation Board meeting.

Budget
. Money has been earmarked for resources at risk for FY02. Individual State budgets will be the same as last year. The National Lands Conservation System (NLCS) money has been converted to base funding and everyone will have to work with individual States to identify money needed for cultural resources work in this subactivity. The cultural resources data sharing money will also be converted to base funding for the States. The Washington Office will work every year to identify how much money each State gets for this program.

Data Sharing
. Eric Ingbar of Gnomon, Inc. and Linda Clark provided the Board with an update on the Data Users Group meeting that was held in Phoenix, AZ October 29 and 30. The Board discussed the idea of project tracking systems with individual SHPO's, security issues, funding and subscription rates, enterprise-level data, and how the state data representatives, SHPO data managers, and State Office leads might want to work together. A BLM data sharing organization or structure was presented.

Action Items
: The web address for the Wyoming project tracking prototype will be sent out after December for review. A draft BLM Data Sharing Organization will be sent out for review and comment.

Strategic Training Plan
. Pat Walsh from BLM's National Training Center updated the Board on the status of the training plan and course development. The priority course is the Fundamentals course which will be held in the fall of 2002. The training plan is complete and will be sent out through an Information Bulletin (IB).

BLM Meeting at the Society for American Archaeology (SAAs).
The comments gathered at the end of last year's meeting were discussed and the Board decided that the meeting will be two days. One day will be devoted to training and one day for discussing issues.

Action Items
: A conference call is planned for February 12 at 1 p.m. eastern time to finalize the meeting agenda. State leads will poll their field archaeologists to determine how may people are planning to attend the meeting.

Resources-at-Risk.
The report should be done by mid to late February. There will be 2000 copies made, 50 copies per state and 800 to 900 will be sent to Printed Materials Distribution Section (PMDS). One report was passed around for the Preservation Board to look at. The Board discussed changing the cover photograph and title to better emphasize up front that cultural resources on BLM are disappearing. Also, the need to develop a Power Point presentation that addresses the national issues which can later be modified by individual States was discussed. The Board identified the need to recognize the tie between this document and the budget system by using the new Budget Planning System (BPS) to identify resources at risk projects for future funding. Since additional funding has been identified for resources at risk, the Board discussed how to distribute the funds.

Action Items:
A meeting has been set the week of January 7 to work on the Power Point presentation. Team members include Richard Brook, Steve Fosberg, Gary Stumpf and Mike O'Neil. Richard Brook will develop a one-page resources at risk proposal form and send it out to the Board for review.

Fire Program.
A fire bibliography was distributed through an IB in July. The National Park Service (NPS) will be coming out with a synthesis of the literature looking at different ecosystems and fire systems. The cultural heritage fire web page is on the internet and contains background information and a list of fire archaeologists with addresses. Technical guidance directed at private property owners, local communities, and federal agency managers is being developed for the web page. The address for the web page is www.blm.gov/heritage/chfire.htm. There has been work on public information guidance by Megg Heath, Wayne Rice, and Ranel Capron. A brochure for historic property owners is being developed.

The Board discussed the creation of a database for storing management and treatment prescriptions based on desired condition decisions. The database would start with approximately ten sites per State and information will be added as time and resources allow. Ideally, the database will include a broad range of site types as well as ecosystems types and fuel loads.
Vegetation Treatment EIS. The Board discussed the national EIS effort on vegetative treatment and was informed that Historical Research Associates (HRA), out of Missoula, Montana are the consultants for this project and will be gathering cultural information for the EIS.

Action Item:
Alan Stanfil will work with HRA on this project and provide regular updates to the Preservation Board.

Managing Historic Trail Corridors.
Tim Nowak (WY) gave a presentation on the management of historic trail corridors in Wyoming. Tim outlined how the trails were recorded and the screening process used for the trail segments to determine significance, condition, management options, and mitigation strategies.

OHV/Recreation Issues.
The Board discussed the need to address the impacts off highway vehicles (OHV) have to cultural resources in casual use and scheduled event situations. While it is hard to deal with casual use, there needs to be more work between recreation and cultural resources specialists to consider the impacts that scheduled events have to the resource and to consider this a Section 106 undertaking.

Action Item:
Determine which State's have an OHV problem before the next Preservation Board meeting. Schedule time at the June 2002 Preservation Board meeting to discuss and analyze this topic.

8160 Handbook.
The Draft 8160 Handbook on Native American Consultation was distributed to the Board. An electronic version will be sent out the week of December 10 to the Board and state tribal liaisons for a one month review.

Collections in Field Offices.
Each State must curate one field office collection this fiscal year using base funding. There is no extra money for this effort, but there is a need to go forward with this effort.

Future Meetings

February 12, 2002.
Conference call at 1 p.m. eastern time. Purpose of the call is to discuss the BLM meeting at the SAA's and discuss time-sensitive issues such as the open field manager position that needs to be filled before June.

June 4-6, 2002.
Preservation Board meeting in Boise, Idaho.
Agenda items identified include: Planning (GIS panel on landscape analysis), OHV use, recruitment for three Board positions (one field archaeologist, one field manager, and an Assoicate State Director.

December 3-5, 2002.
Preservation Board meeting in Alexandria, VA.

June 2003.
Preservation Board meeting in Wyoming.