Cabezon Creek WSA, NM
Notched projectile point, Idaho Petroglyph, New Mexico Fossil mammal skull, NMMNH Panaca Summit Charcoal Kilns, Nevada Red Gulch Tracksite, Wyoming
Heritage Resources
BLM>Heritage Home>Data Sharing Partnership>Oct. 2001 Meeting
Print Page

Data Users Group Meeting Notes
October 29 and 30, 2001
BLM National Training Center
Phoenix, Arizona

The first cultural resources Data Users Group (DUG) meeting was held October 29 and 30, 2001 at the Bureau of Land Management's (BLM) National Training Center in Phoenix, Arizona. A list of attendees is attached. During the afternoon of October 29 and the morning of October 30, each state gave a 15 minute presentation on its data sharing program.

From the presentations, and from general discussion, a list of issues was identified. The issues were given priorities and discussed during the afternoon of October 30. The issues discussed include:

  • How projects (investigations, undertakings, decisions about resources in the context of undertakings) are tracked electronically in each State and what types of tracking systems are needed.
  • Enterprise-level data. Whose enterprise (State or BLM) sets the standard. From the state perspective, a statewide information system is "enterprise-level", but from a BLM perspective an enterprise-level standard must incorporate the specific state-level data sets.
  • Barriers to GIS use and system use. These included training, technophobia, poor fit between work process and available information tools, lack of hardware or software, and resistance to changing current work processes.
  • Money and Funding (Charge rates/subscriptions). Several states talked about operational support and development costs. How BLM can, could, or will fund operations was part of the discussion on this issue. There was general agreement that funding involves bringing other agencies into the support picture too.
  • Security of online systems. This was identified as a general concern. Three kinds of security concerns were mentioned. First, making sure that appropriate access is available for professionals (i.e., access policies) and how non-cultural resource professionals (e.g., a county planner) who need to get to the information can (or cannot) have access to it. Second, security from deliberate cracking or intrusion attempts. Two states with on-line systems (Wyoming, New Mexico) stated that they had never seen an intrusion attempt. The third topic was the need for a blanket statement about security within the SHPO-BLM data sharing system. A non-technical statement that discusses security, the potential hazards of different security policies, and lays out a minimum standard of security (in terms of the two topics above) would be very useful.

Issues identified but not discussed due to lack of time include:

  • Use of incomplete data (quality control). This issue was listed because of a concern over the use of automated systems that are constantly evolving, and thus are never completely current. How should one use (or not use) such information?
  • Scanning paper documents (types of documents to scan, storage, distribution, formats). There is general interest in this topic. It received a lower ranking in discussion priority because many states are already looking at different techniques (or using them). These include scanning to Adobe Acrobat format, serving and storing images in DejaVu format, storing and scanning as multi-page TIFF files that also get written to microfiche. There was some discussion about the utility of the image vs. the utility of a database of what is in the image, especially for site records.
  • Built Environment. How is or should the architectural and structural environment be included in data systems.
  • Paper Maps (what happens to them and do they still have utility?).
  • Communication and collaboration with other agencies. This topic was not addressed directly, but came up in many other parts of the issues discussion.

The meeting ended with a brainstorming session on what the group would like to see done in the future. The following list includes ideas from the group. Assignments and due dates have been added to this list.

Quarterly conference call

Linda Clark and Eric Ingbar will schedule and coordinate. Please mark your calendars for the first conference for February 7th at 1 p.m. eastern time. Agenda and conference numbers will be sent out the middle of January.

Meeting for Alaska SHPO and BLM to showcase systems that have been developed in other States

Eric Ingbar and Linda Clark propose to coordinate a conference call using NetMeeting (a tool for sharing desktops across the internet) with Alaska to show some of the other systems that have been developed or are being developed.

Continue to Share/show what is being done in other States (list web sites and persons to contact)

Dan Martin has put together a list of web sites and people to contact on the BLM's intranet. To take a look at the SHPO's sites discussed at the early part of this week and share information among other field offices in your states see:

You can find links to many of the SHPO pages at

Meeting to discuss and develop Project Tracking
Project tracking was one of the issues discussed. There was general agreement that a way to follow undertakings/investigations through their "lifecycle" would benefit BLM and likely be useful to most SHPO's. Ingbar proposed that a project tracking prototype be completed before trying to convene any sort of meeting to discuss project tracking. A prototype should be in place (as a web application) by 12/15/01.

Formalize the Data User Group focus direction on group to act as steering committee, BLM reps to data stewards to encourage other Field Offices to use the systems.

Linda Clark will distribute a Charter for Data Users Group for review by November 30,2001

Discuss meeting at Preservation Board meeting and follow-up policy.

Linda Clark and Eric Ingbar will discuss the meeting with the Board December 4, 2001

Start dialog between SHPO, Data User, IRM, and State Offices with time limit.

By February 7th conference call each State BLM Data Rep should have contacted their IRM, State Office leads and SHPO and be able to report on progress of dialog.

Participate in BLM's GIS workshop

There was discussion of hosting a topical session at the next BLM GIS Workshop. The workshop will be at the NTC in Phoenix the week of April 29th, 2002. As the event draws closer, agendas and other information will be posted at: No decision was taken about actually hosting the topical session. If you think you could participate, please coordinate with Linda Clark, so that we know what is going on. (The contact for agenda time and rooms is Diane Nelson at 602 906-5548.)

Have annual Data Users Group meeting

Meeting will be held in the fall of 2002 in Phoenix, Arizona and information will be distributed at a later date. Other agencies (FS, DOT, etc.) will be invited to participate.

Identify different access agreements for Security (baseline security and what should be there)

Eric Ingbar will develop white paper on security and distribute by end of January.

SAA's BLM-joint session on Data Sharing.

Linda Clark will look into the feasibility of having as session at the 2002 or 2003 SAA's and report back to the group on the February conference call.

Short report on results of BLM data survey for users.

The on-line data survey was not completed by all states. The data representatives were urged to get their colleagues to complete the survey as soon as possible. In any case, Ingbar will produce a short summary report by 1/31/2002, using the data as entered as of 1/15/2002.


Linda Clark
BLM Challis Field Office, Salmon, Idaho
(208) 756-5460

Eric Ingbar
Gnomon, Inc., Carson City, Nevada
(775) 885-2305

Rick Karl
Arizona State Museum, Tucson, Arizona
(520) 621-1271

Gary Stumpf (Retired January 2007)
BLM Arizona State Office, Phoenix, Arizona
(602) 417-9236

Stephen Horne
BLM California State Office, Sacramento, California
(916) 978-4653

John Rose
BLM Kingman Field Office, Arizona
(928) 692-4405

Melanie Rhinehart
BLM Data Manager, Lakewood, Colorado
(303) 236-9940

Mary Hopkins
Wyoming SHPO, Laramie, Wyoming

Tim Seaman
New Mexico SHPO, Santa Fe, New Mexico
(505) 476-1277

Rolla Queen
BLM California Desert District, Riverside
(909) 697-5386

Scott Goodman
BLM Prineville District, Oregon
(541) 416-6760

Howard Smith
BLM Northern Field Office, Fairbanks, Alaska
(907) 474-2342

Mary Sullivan
Colorado Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation, Denver
(303) 866-4673

Josh Torres
Colorado Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation, Denver
(303) 866-2575

Dan Martin
BLM Washington D.C. Office, Denver, Colorado
(303) 236-0105

John Roney
BLM Albuquerque Field Office, New Mexico
(505) 761-8757

Barry Williams
North Dakota Field Office, Dickinson
(701) 227-7707

Stephen Savage
Arizona SHPO, Phoenix
(602) 542-1995

Ken Schauer
BLM Colorado State Office, Lakewood
(303) 239-3656

Carol Griffith
Arizona SHPO, Phoenix

Cristina Weinberg
BLM Elko Field Office, Nevada
(775) 753-0277

BLM Richfield Field Office, Utah
(435) 896-1519

Bob King
BLM Alaska State Office, Anchorage
(907) 271-5510

Kristen Jensen
Utah SHPO, Salt Lake City
(801) 533-3526

Other interested parties and people who could not attend:

Chris Arthur
BLM Casper Field Office, Wyoming
(307) 261-7501

David Sisson
BLM Cottonwood Field Office, Idaho
(208) 962-3782

Monica Weimer
BLM, Royal Gorge Field Office, Colorado
(719) 269-8557

Glenda King, Idaho SHPO

Margaret Brown, Nevada State Museum

Eric Allison, California OHP

John Thomas, California OHP

Barbara Perry, Utah SHPO

Kevin Jones, Utah SHPO

Meg VanNess, Colorado SHPO

Beth Grindall, U. of Arizona, AZSITE

Judy Wolf, Wyoming SHPO

Kimberley Dunn, Oregon SHPO

Leland Gilsen, Oregon SHPO

James Hamrick, Oregon SHPO

Alice Baldrica, Nevada SHPO

Tom Foor, University of Montana

Heather Busam, USFS NHIMI Team

JeffOverturf, USFS NHIMI Team

Linda Blair, UNLV Harry Reid Center