Cabezon Creek WSA, NM
BLM
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
AML_Header1 AML_Header2 AML_Header3 AML_Header4 AML_Header5
BLM>More BLM Programs>Abandoned Mine Lands>Abandoned Mine Site Inventory
Print Page

Abandoned Mine Lands Inventory

BLM State AML Offices | Partnerships | How BLM AML Projects Work | Frequently Asked Questions | Glossary | Abandoned Mine Site Inventory

 

BLM maintains an inventory of known abandoned mine lands on public lands. Most of the sites are abandoned hardrock mines. As of April 18, 2014, the inventory contained over 45,700 sites and 85,800 features. Approximately 20% of the sites have either been remediated, have reclamation actions planned or underway, or do not require further action.  The remaining 80% require further investigation and/or remediation.  

Abandoned Mine Lands Site Status (04/18/2014)      
Geographic StateAction Completed
(A)
Final
Closeout(B)
In
Progress (C)
Maintenance
and 
Monitoring(D)
Needs Analysis
(E)
No
Action
(F)
Planned
(G)
Total:Remaining Sites to be addressed(C+D+E+G)

Alaska

22

7

12

 2

77

92

6

218

97

Arizona

198

253

27

173

2,764

885

342

4,642

3,306

California

138

 1

33

9

1,048

138

325

1,692

1,415

Colorado

728

 1

18

10

2,150

383

100

3,390

2,278

Idaho

265

 22

38

195

166

310

221

1,217

620

Montana

368

 2

57

 1

551

209

20

1,208

629

Nevada

634

 219

56

 5

15,630

44

699

17,287

16,390

New Mexico

552

 

10

 

8,573

23

390

9,548

8,973

Oregon

27

 

 6

 19

705

35

7

799

737

Utah

2,234

 2

 450

 4

620

1,207

12

4,529

1,086

Washington

3

 

 5

 

61

24

8

101

74

Wyoming

44

11

 1

 61

952

23

17

1,115

1,031

Total:

5,213

518

713

479

33,297

3,379

2,147

45,74636,636

Abandoned Mine Land site status as of January 30,2014
Source: BLM's AML inventory database.

*This data should be considered soft because the BLM is consistently reviewing and updating its data. In addition, the majority of sites were reported during the initial inventory efforts from various sources, but have not been assessed on the ground by the BLM.

Abandoned Mine Features Inventory
Abandoned Mine Land Feature Types* as of 04/18/2014

Feature TypeNumber% of 
total
Remaining features to be addressed
Adit caved2,5193%1,571
Adit open18,55522%15,508
Heap leach90%8
Highwalls/Pits7,8369%7,372
Mine/Mineral Processing Mill2810%219
Other20,69224%17,617
Prospect Pit3,6674%2,586
Repository260%11
Reserve Pits/PWP/Other Waste780%56
Shaft caved1,0901%672
Shaft open19,53023%16,731
Tailings5311%483
Waste Rock Dump11,01013%9,164
Total:84,379100.0%71,998
*Source: BLM's Abandoned Mine Lands/site Cleanup Inventory Database