September 5, 2007
2007 Final Regulations and Correction Amendments
- 43 CFR Parts 3000, 3100, 3150, 3200, 3500, 3580, 3600, 3730, 3810, 3830--Minerals Management: Adjustment of Cost Recovery Fees, 9/5/07, Federal Register, 72 FR 50882-50889
- 43 CFR Parts 3000, 3200, and 3280--Geothermal Resource Leasing and Geothermal Resources Unit Agreements, 5/2/07, Federal Register, 72 FR 24358-24446 (90 pages pdf version)
- 36 CFR Part 228, U.S. Forest Service; 43 CFR Part 3160, BLM--Onshore Oil and Gas Operations; Federal and Indian Oil and Gas Leases; Onshore Oil and Gas Order Number 1, Approval of Operations, 3/7/07, Federal Register, 72 FR 10307-10338. See 3/9/07 correction: effective date of rule (72 FR 10608)
- 43 CFR Part 1820--Application Procedures, 2/12/07, Federal Register, 72 FR 6480
- 43 CFR Part 2930--Permits for Recreation on Public Lands, 2/21/07, Federal Register, 72 FR 7832-7837
- 43 CFR Parts 3000, 3100, 3150, 3200, 3500, 3580, 3600, 3730, 3810, 3830--Minerals Management: Adjustment of Cost Recovery Fees (Federal Register, 9/5/07, 72 FR 50882-50889). This final rule is effective October 1, 2007.
This final rule amends the BLM mineral resources regulations to update some fees that cover the BLM's cost of processing certain documents relating to its mineral programs and some filing fees for mineral-related documents. These updates include fees for actions such as lease applications, name changes, corporate mergers, lease consolidations, and lease reinstatements. The fee changes are the BLM's continued response to recommendations made by the Department of the Interior's Office of Inspector General in a 1988 report. This report was part of a 1980's Presidential initiative, which called for all Federal agencies to charge appropriate user fees for agency services, consistent with the law. This final rule also makes some editorial corrections to the rule.
- 43 CFR Parts 3000, 3200, and 3280--Geothermal Resource Leasing and Geothermal Resources Unit Agreements (Federal Register, 5/2/07, 72 FR 24358-24446). This final rule is effective June 1, 2007. This final rule--
- Revises the BLM's geothermal resources leasing and unit agreement regulations to implement the Energy Policy Act of 2005.
- Restructures regulations concerning the general geothermal leasing process and revises regulations on royalties and readjustment of lease terms, conditions, and rentals.
- Revises regulations on lease duration and work commitment requirements, annual rental and credit of rental towards royalty, unit and communitization agreements, and acreage limitations.
Additional revisions required by the Energy Policy Act include various technical corrections. Other changes in sections unaffected by changes in the statute clarify existing procedures, improve grammatical construction, conform the regulations to new administrative regulatory standards, and correct existing errors.
- Joint Final Rule--36 CFR Part 228, U.S. Forest Service; 43 CFR Part 3160, BLM--Onshore Oil and Gas Operations; Federal and Indian Oil and Gas Leases; Onshore Oil and Gas Order Number 1, Approval of Operations (Federal Register, 3/7/07, 72 FR 10307-10338). This final rule is effective May 7, 2007 (corrected date). The final rule is consistent with provisions in the Energy Policy Act of 2005 and will--
- Revise existing Onshore Oil and Gas Order Number 1;
- Provide the requirements necessary for the approval of all proposed oil and gas exploratory, development, or service wells on all Federal and Indian (except Osage Tribe) onshore oil and gas leases, including leases where the surface is managed by the U.S. Forest Service; and
- Cover most approvals necessary for subsequent well operations, including abandonment.
- 43 CFR Part 1820--Application Procedures (Federal Register, 2/12/07, 72 FR 6480). This correcting amendment amends the regulations pertaining to execution and filing of forms to correct the post office box number in the address of the Nevada State Office of the Bureau of Land Management in the list of State Office addresses.
- 43 CFR Part 2930--Permits for Recreation on Public Lands (Federal Register, 2/21/07, 72 FR 7832-7837. This final rule updates the regulations of the BLM that explain how to obtain recreation permits for commercial recreational operations, competitive events and activities, organized group activities and events, and individual recreational use of special areas.