Wild Horse & Burro Adoption Information
Farriers | Trainers | Veterinarians
Application: Application Form - fillable pdf; download the free Acrobat Reader to view .pdf files
- Adopters must be 18 years or older.
- Have no prior violations of adoption regulations or convictions of inhumane treatment to animals.
- Will have no more than 4 untitled animals in the same location unless an additional screening form and employment statement are completed.
- Adopters must be present to select their animal.
- Corral fence: 6 feet high for horses, 4 1/2 feet for burros; 5 feet high for saddle trained horses and horses less than 18 months of age.
- Fencing material should be rounded pipes, poles, or wooden planks. Small mesh woven wire (2"x4" or smaller) fencing with a board along the top is acceptable.
- Minimum size for an animal is 400 square feet (i.e., 20 x 20 ).
- Shelter must be adequate for the climate conditions prevalent in the area.
- No barbed or electric wire is allowed in the corrals.
- Covered stock trailers.
- Four-horse trailers completely enclosed. (No two-horse trailers.)
- No drop tailgates on trailers.
- Halters of nylon webbing are best, and lead ropes at least 1" in diameter are recommended. (These must be provided by the adopter.)
- Until titled by the BLM, animals cannot be sold or traded.
- Animals cannot be neglected, abandoned, inhumanely treated, used as bucking stock or for other commercial purposes.
- The nearest BLM office must be notified:
- Within 7 days if an animal dies. A veterinarian's statement must follow.
- If an animal is moved to a new location for more than 30 days.
- The adopter is responsible for all expenses; there are no refunds or reimbursements.
- 4700 Regulations
- Adopters will receive a copy of current Coggins test (for Equine Infectious Anemia) and a health certificate with a record of vaccinations and worming.
- West Nile Virus Information
- Payment may be cash, money order, cashiers check, personal check, or credit card.
- Application Form - fillable pdf; download the free Acrobat Reader to view .pdf files