Comprehensive Travel and Transportation Management Plan
The Act also directed the St. George Field Office to complete a Comprehensive Travel and Transportation Management Plan, to include specific route designations, the designation of a High Desert Trail System for motorized recreational use, and the identification of a Northern Transportation Route.
Comprehensive travel management planning addresses access needs for an array of public land uses; these are evaluated within BLM’s legal mandates to protect sensitive natural and cultural resources and minimize impacts on public land values. This planning process will result in every BLM-managed route in Washington County being designated as open for use, closed to use, or having use limited in some manner.
This planning process will be conducted on a parallel track with the development of the Resource Management Plans for the two newly designated National Conservation Areas and the Amendment to the St. George Resource Management Plan. An Environmental Assessment will be completed, to analyze the impacts associated with implementation of the Comprehensive Travel and Transportation Management Plan. Public input is essential to the development of a comprehensive plan and the public is invited to:
- Provide route inventory data (e.g., maps, digital files, GPS data);
- Identify routes important for facilities access, recreation, commercial activities, etc.;
- Identify areas where existing routes create impacts to sensitive natural and heritage resources;
- Identify routes that could be included in the High Desert Trail System;
- Identify alternatives for the Northern Transportation Route.