Back Country Byway Travel Information
The Smithsonian Butte Back Country Byway is a Type I* byway. Check weather forecasts; this byway may be impassable by two-wheel drive vehicles during heavy rain. After heavy rains or winter snow, the road may require a four-wheel drive or high clearance vehicle until road maintenance can be performed. Call the St. George Field Office for the latest road conditions before venturing out. Services are not available along the byway. Services are available on the south side of the byway in Apple Valley (Hwy 59) and on the north side of the byway in Rockville or Springdale (Hwy 9).
Remember the following tips while traveling Back Country Byways:
- Check the weather forecast and prepare for the predicted road conditions;
- Be sure your vehicle is suitable for the road surface;
- Ensure your vehicle is equipped with a spare tire, jack, and tools for minor repairs;
- Keep an eye out for heavy equipment;
- Respect wildlife by viewing from a distance;
- Be careful of livestock, and always leave gates the way you found them–open or closed;
- Do not disturb archaeological or historic sites.
*Roads are paved or have an all weather surface and have grades that are negotiable by two-wheel drive vehicles and passenger cars. Most of these roads are narrow, slow speed, secondary routes through public lands.