Back Country Byway Travel Information
The Smithsonian Butte Back Country Byway is a Type I* byway. Check weather forecasts; this byway may be impassable by two-wheel drive vehicles during heavy rain. Services are not available along the byway. Services are available on the south side of the byway in Apple Valley (Hwy 59) and on the north side of the byway in Rockville or Springdale (Hwy 9).
Remember the following tips while traveling Back Country Byways:
- Be sure your vehicle is suitable for the road surface.
- Ensure your vehicle is equipped with a spare tire, jack and tools for minor repair.
- Travelers may encounter heavy equipment on backcountry routes.
- Respect wildlife by viewing from a distance.
- Be careful of livestock and always close gates behind you.
- Do not disturb archaeological or historic sites.
*Roads are paved or have an all weather surface and have grades that are negotiable by two-wheel drive vehicles and passenger cars. Most of these roads are narrow, slow speed, secondary routes through public lands.