Camping Inside the NCA
A small 12 site campground is located inside the National Conservation Area. Information on the campground can be obtained from the Red Cliffs Campground
Camping is limited to a maximum of 7 consecutive days in any one area and is not allowed at trailheads. Other restrictions vary depending on the Use Zone.
Lowland Zone: Dispersed camping is prohibited; Camping is allowed only in the Red Cliffs Campground. See map for prohibited camping area.
Upland Zone: Dispersed camping is allowed throughout the Upland Zone with the exception of the Babylon/Sandstone Mountain area. Camping in Babylon/Sandstone area is allowed only in the Sand Cove Primitive Camping area and requires a permit.
Sand Cove Primitive Camping Area
Located approximately 20 miles from St. George, it can only be reached by high clearance, 4 wheel drive vehicles. There are no amenities of any kind, but a free permit is required. Camping at Sand Cove has the following restrictions: group size is limited to 30 people, camping is limited to a maximum of 7 consecutive days, and each group must provide their own portable toilet facilities. Other restrictions apply (see permit application for more details).
- Obtain a free permit application on-line or in person.
- Submit the completed application to the St. George Field Office a minimum of 3 days before your use date.
- Pick-up your permit on-line or in person.
Submitting an Application On-line
- Download an application to your computer.
- Fill out the fillable PDF application on your computer.
- Attach the completed form to an e-mail.
- Send the e-mail to email@example.com with “Sand Cove Camping Permit” in the subject line.
NOTE: We are experiencing problems with our email system. Please contact us by phone if your application has NOT been confirmed within 48 hrs of submittal.
Submitting an Application In Person
- Download an application or pick up one at the St. George Field Office.
- Fill out the form in ink.
- Drop it off at the St. George Field Office or mail it to: St. George Field Office, 345 E. Riverside Dr., St. George, UT 84790.
NOTE: No same day walk-in permits will be processed.