Desolation Gray Canyons River Permit System
Want to run a river, want to experience the beautiful scenery of canyons in Utah. Desolation Gray Canyons of the Green River may just be what you want. The 84 mile trip from Sand Wash to Swaseys Rapid offers outstanding scenery, interesting geologic formations, evidence of prehistori and historic human activity, and whitewater opportunities. Visit the trip planning page to learn more.
A permit is required year round for floating the Desolation Gray Canyons section of the Green River. Permits can be reserved at www.recreation.gov.
Dates to Know:
- Lottery applications are accepted from December 1, to January 31 for the upcoming year's lottery.
- Dates before May 1 and after September 30 can be reserved starting December 1 for the upcoming float season.
- Launches from May 2 to September 30 are included in the lottery.
- Lottery notifications are emailed on February 15.
- Successful lottery applicants can accept awarded launch dates, awarded through the lottery, by March 15.
- Dates not accepted will be cancelled March 15.
- Dates not accepted and dates cancelled will be available on www.recreation.gov starting March 16.
- Other cancellations are random and may appear on www.recreation.gov at any time.
Please visit the links below to learn more about this great recreational experience.