Want to run a river? Want to experience the beautiful scenery of canyons in central Utah? Desolation Gray Canyons of the Green River may just be what you want. The 84-mile trip from Sand Wash to Swaseys Rapid offers outstanding scenery, interesting geologic formations, evidence of prehistoric and historic human activity, and whitewater opportunities. Learn more...
A permit is required year round for floating the Desolation Gray Canyons section of the Green River. Permits can be reserved at www.recreation.gov.
Dates to Know:
- Lottery applications are accepted from December 1, to January 31 for the upcoming year's lottery.
- Dates before May 1 and after September 30 can be reserved starting December 1 for the upcoming float season.
- Launches from May 1 to September 30 are included in the lottery.
- Lottery notifications are emailed on February 15.
- Successful lottery applicants can accept awarded launch dates, awarded through the lottery, by March 15.
- Dates not accepted will be cancelled March 16.
- All dates not awarded and all dates cancelled through the lottery will be available on www.recreation.gov starting March 16.
- Other cancellations are random and may appear on www.recreation.gov at any time.