Off Highway Vehicle Regulations and Designations


  • OHV Registration: While being operated or transported on public lands, Off-Highway Vehicles (OHVs), including motorcycles, ATVs, and rock-crawlers, must display a current OHV registration sticker. See the Utah State Parks website for more information on OHVs. Utah law requires any non-Utah resident who owns, operates or lends an OHV for use on public land in Utah must pay an annual OHV user fee. Some states have reciprocity, meaning there is a mutual agreement between states not to charge non-residents fees. Please refer to the Utah State Parks website for more information.
  • Safety Certificate/Driver License Requirement: Anyone operating an OHV on public land must have in his/her possession the appropriate safety certificate issued or approved by the State of Utah or a valid motor vehicle operator's license.
  • Helmet Restriction: Anyone under the age of 18 is required to wear a DOT approved motorcycle/ATV helmet with a locking chin strap while operating or riding as a passenger on a motorcycle or ATV.
  • Age Restriction: No child under the age of 8 may operate an OHV.
  • Spark Arrester: No OHV may be operated unless equipped with a properly installed spark arrester. In addition, no OHV may be operated without a muffler.
  • Headlights and Taillights: No OHV may be operated at night hours (half-hour after sunset to a half-hour before sunrise) without headlights and taillights.
  • Paved County Roads and State Highways: Unless otherwise posted, no OHV (unless street licensed) may operate on the roadway or right-of-way of paved roads.
  • Safety Flags: It is presently recommended, not required, to operate an OHV at the White Wash Sand Dunes with an orange or red safety flag visible at least eight (8) feet from the ground.

Please refer to the OHV Designation map showing all vehicle designations (including those for motorized and mountain bike travel) in the Moab Field Office. In general, there are three designations applicable to all vehicles (including mountain bikes):

Closed: These areas are closed to all vehicular travel.

Limited to Designated Roads and Trails: Within these areas, vehicles must stay on routes that are marked open to travel. These routes are usually marked with brown, plastic, flexible posts and arrows. No cross-country travel is allowed.

Open to Cross-Country Travel:  The only area open to cross-country travel in the Moab Field Office is White Wash Sand Dunes.

Please comply with these rules when traveling in the Moab area. There are thousands of miles of roads and trails to enjoy. Moab's roads and trails are famous because they offer a combination of challenge and scenery that cannot be found elsewhere. Protect your privilege and stay on roads and trails! Cross-country travel damages plant and soil resources, and leaves ugly long-lasting scars. Please enjoy your recreational activity in the Moab area while staying on roads and trails.

Please look for additional information regarding travel rules on bulletin boards and signs throughout the area. Thank you for respecting these off highway vehicle designations. Remember, these designations apply to all vehicles, including jeeps, ATV’s, dirt bikes and mountain bikes.

Trails not Tracks!

Map of OHV Designations in the MFO

Please refer to our Travel Management Plan web page for maps of designated routes.

Visit the Canyonlands Natural History Association website
to purchase maps and books of the area.