U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIORBUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
Registration System and Limitations for Use of Coyote Canyon
The Moab Field Office (MFO) of the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has designated the 0.65 miles of Coyote Canyon as open to motorized travel with limitations as allowed in 43 CFR 8340. To ensure compliance with these limitations, registration will be required to use Coyote Canyon. This information sheet explains the limitations and the registration system that will be used.
Coyote Canyon is located approximately 13 miles south of Moab off of the Black Ridge Road which is 0.2 miles south of MM 113 on the east side of Hwy 191. The trailer parking area is located right at the Hwy 191/Black Ridge Road junction. Access to Coyote Canyon is 1.5 miles from the parking area on the Black Ridge Road.
Free Registration System
Only seven vehicles will be allowed to run Coyote Canyon on the date secured by the group leader. The group leader must sign the registration for the group and agree that all limitations will be adhered to during its use of Coyote Canyon. A signed copy of the registration MUST be returned to the MFO by noon the day prior to the registered use date and may be returned by fax to 435-259-2158, scan/email to email@example.com, or in person at 82 E. Dogwood in Moab.
The Coyote Canyon gate will remain closed and locked to general public use. Registered users will be issued the combination and are required to lock the gates behind them as they enter or exit the canyon. The combination will be changed on a regular basis to limit access.
1. Motorized use of Coyote Canyon will be on Fridays and Saturdays with only one registered group per day with a maximum of 7 vehicles per group.
2. Only the route shown on the designated route map of Coyote Canyon may be used. There will be no travel in Kane Creek Wash outside the designated route.
3. All motorized use of Coyote Canyon will be between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. All vehicles must be off the route by 5 p.m.
4. All vehicles in the registered group must have mufflers.
5. Only full sized, “rock crawling” vehicles will be allowed to use Coyote Canyon;
6. There will be no winching from trees. All groups are required to carry and utilize spill kits to contain fluid leaks.
7. There will be no use of Coyote Canyon from December 1 through February 15 to protect deer winter range and to limit use during the muddy season.
8. Organized groups and/or commercial permittees may utilize Coyote Canyon, and are required to use the registration system. There will be no competitive use of Coyote Canyon.
9. Trailer parking is available at the junction of Hwy 191 and the Black Ridge Road. No trailer parking is available at the trail head.
Provision for Disabled Vehicles
Coyote Canyon Photos