Vermillion Cliffs--Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
Bighorn Sheep Colorado River View Sego Canyon Cottonwood - Kane Creek Bowtie Arch
BLM>Utah>Moab>Recreation>Special Recreation Permits
Print Page
Special Recreation Permit Application Deadlines and Special Regulations

For commercial outfitting/guiding:
A completed application packet must be submitted 180 days prior to the date of the activity. This lead time is necessary in order to complete paperwork and any environmental analysis that may be required. More or less time may be need to complete work on your permit.

For commercial river outfitting: There is currently a moratorium on issuing new commercial river permits for river sections administered by the Moab Field Office (which includes Westwater Canyon and Cisco to Castle Creek on the Colorado River and the Gateway to Dewey section of the Dolores River).

For commercial/competitive events: Due to increases in recreation use in the Moab area that sometimes exceed monitoring capability and available space, priority for authorization of new Special Recreation Permits for land-based commercial and competitive events (issued by the Moab Office) will be given to applicants proposing uses that 1) do not duplicate existing uses, 2) take place outside the months of March, April, May, September, and October, 3) utilize lands and facilities off public lands for overnight accommodation of guests, 4) display and communicate the Canyon Country Minimum Impact Practices, and 5) focus visitation on sites and areas capable of withstanding repeated use. Other factors considered when deciding whether or not to issue permits for new events include public demand for the proposed use, the capability of the applicant to carry out the proposed use, projected government revenues, and past performance. Applications for new recreation events must be submitted by September 1st of the year prior to the proposed use. The renewal or modification of existing use permits will follow standard Bureau procedures and not be counted as a new use. Applications for renewal of previously issued permits will be treated as new uses not qualifying for renewal privileges whenever the use authorization has lapsed for one or more years.

For organized 4WD events: Special Recreation Permits are currently required for all organized events utilizing twenty-five vehicles or more.

Any event with 25 or more vehicles (mountain bikes, motorcycles, 4WD, etc.) require a Special Recreation Permit.