The Westwater Private Permitting Process
How to Obtain a Private Permit
A permit is required year-round to run Westwater Canyon. Permits are issued only through advance reservation to individuals 18 years and older. The maximum group size is 25 people. Do not show up at the launch ramp without a permit expecting to launch or to join another group. No waiting lists are maintained.
Launches become available 2 months prior to the launch date.
- For example, July 4th launches first become available on May 4th
- If the day to call is a weekend or Federal holiday, you need to call the next working day
You can acquire any launch dates available within the two-month period.
Launches are issued on a first-come, first-served basis using the telephone.
- For example, the first five people to call (435) 259-7012 on May 4th (starting at 8 am) will receive a permit for July 4th
- An online calendar is available showing open launch dates (updated at least once daily)
2014 Westwater Private Permit Calendar
You do not need to submit an application to acquire a permit.
All needed information is obtained when you call for a launch including:
- date of launch
- size of group
- name, address, and phone number of trip leader
- name, address, and phone number of alternate trip leader (this is optional)
- payment information (i.e., credit card number, expiration date, and billing address)
You need access to a fax machine or email if picking up a launch within one week of the launch date.
You can acquire only one launch per day and possess only one unpaid permit at a time.
Fees are required year round. The fee is $10.00 per person and can be paid with cash, check, or credit card.
Payment can be made when you acquire a launch or is due 30 days prior to your launch date.
- If you pick up a launch that is less than 30 days away, you need to pay for it at the time your reservation is made.
Payments may only be made by the trip leader or alternate trip leader.
Payments cannot be made at the launch site.
Changing/Canceling a Reservation
The trip leader or alternate trip leader can make two changes to a permit, including:
- Change of alternate trip leader
- Increase of group size (if space is available)
- Change of launch date (if another launch is available within the two-month time frame)
Changes must be made at least 24 hours prior to your launch date during River Office hours.
Please notify the River Office if you are unable to use your launch date.
- This will reduce the amount of unused Westwater launches
- If you haven't already made two changes to a paid permit, you can request a launch date change (and payment transfer) at the time of cancellation
- NO REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED!
Our permit issuance process incorporates the following elements to ensure smooth operation: