Nevada
Mojave-Southern Great Basin Resource Advisory Council

 


Meeting Summary

Minutes
Mojave-Southern Great Basin Resource Advisory Council
Thursday, June 19, 2003
Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest Ely Ranger District Office


Resource Advisory Council members present and category represented: 
Marta Agee                                                                   Ranching/Grazing                     

Maurice Frank-Churchill                                              Native American

Jerry Helton                                                                  Transportation/Row (Chair)

Dr. John E. Hiatt                                                            Wildlife

Robert Maichle                                                              Environment

Steve Mellington                                                         Public at Large (vice-Chair)

Ben Patterson                                                               Ranching/Grazing

John Weisser                                                                Dispersed Recreation

Billie Young                                                                  Wild Horse & Burro

Resource Advisory Council members absent: 
Dr. Colleen Beck                                                    Archeology/Historic

Patrick John Chicas                                                  Permitted Recreation

Thalia Dondero                                                              Elected Official

Mark N. Ioli                                                                   Mineral Development

Dr. Steve Parker                                                  Academic/UNLV

Bureau of Land Management representatives present:
Bill Fisher                                                                    
BLM Battle Mountain Assistant Field Mgr

Phil Guerrero                                                                BLM Las Vegas Field Office PAO

Chris Hanefeld                                                              BLM Ely Field Office PAO

Gene Kolkman                                                              BLM Ely Field Manager

Chris Mayer                                                                  BLM Ely Field Office range lead

Mark Morse                                                                  BLM Las Vegas Field Office Manager

Jo Simpson                                                                  BLM NSO PAO

Elvis Wall                                                    BLM Ely Field Office Native American coordinator

 

U.S. Forest Service representatives present: 

Patricia Irwin                                                Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest Ely District Ranger

Steve Holdsambeck                                     District Ranger, Spring Mountains NCA

Public attendees: 

Christina Tueller                                                            Field Representative for Rep. Jim Gibbons

A copy of each attachment is listed in the text of or at the end of these minutes and is also on file with the official copy of the minutes in the Las Vegas Field Office of the BLM.  Persons desiring to review said minutes should contact Phillip Guerrero, public affairs specialist, at (702) 498-6088. 

- A quorum present, Chairperson Steve Mellington called the meeting to order at 8:20 a.m. -

 

8:21 a.m. – Tri-County Wilderness Legislation, BLM Ely Field Office, BLM Ely Field Manager Gene Kolkman. 

  • Kolkman provided the RAC with a brief update re Tri-County wilderness legislation.  Kolkman said the process is proceeding at a faster pace in White Pine County than Lincoln County, which could result in two separate wilderness bills.  Steve Mellington asked what appearance the final legislation might have.  John Hiatt said the legislation is currently very “fluid” re the wilderness portion of the bill.  Kolkman said he anticipates something within the next two weeks.  Hiatt said the legislation is more of a lands bill than it is a wilderness bill.  Marta Agee asked if the RAC’s comments had been addressed.  Kolkman said the BLM Ely Field Office forwarded the RAC’s comments to Nevada’s congressional delegation.  Pat Irwin asked what the timeline for a draft would be.  Hiatt said he is not aware of one, but said the draft legislation should come either before or after August 2003.  Hiatt explained that Nye County dropped out of the legislation, due to a lack of interest, he said.  Steve Mellington asked if there would be a “public rollout.”  Hiatt said his indications were that there would not be.  Marta Agee asked what roll Congressman Jim Gibbons would play in the legislation.  Hiatt said he did not know exactly, but he was sure that Gibbons would play a role.  A brief discussion ensued.  A brief discussion also ensued re the legislation and water issues.  A pipeline corridor designated by Congress takes out three-quarters of the complexity of permitting and constructing pipeline, said Kolkman.  Hiatt explained that Las Vegas Valley Water District and Vidler (citing recent state legislation) could take water out of a number of sources.  Hiatt said wilderness is only part of the overall bill, and that water, land and other issues would also play a major roll.  Mellington asked if the BLM had any input re what land would be put up for disposal.  Kolkman said lands had been identified and that the parcels had been forwarded to the congressional delegation.  Mellington noted that the bill is on the fast track.  Kolkman said a one-year timeline would not be sufficient to adequately write a bill.

9 a.m. – RAC member questions on Field Managers written updates. 

BLM Ely Field Office, BLM Ely Field Manager Gene Kolkman (see attachment 1). 

  • Kolkman described briefly progress made on the Ely Resource Management Plan and Environmental Impact Statement (Ely RMP/EIS) and some of the comments received during the recent public scoping process, e.g., livestock grazing, wild horses and OHV use.  He said some of the comments received were out of scope, e.g., wilderness and an issue raised by Lincoln County regarding county roads and maintenance.  Kolkman said that roads are considered generally to be a county’s, but that the county often lacks a Right of Way (ROW).  Kolkman said he hopes to address the issue somehow.  John Weisser asked if interest groups were the primary respondents during the public scoping process.    Kolkman said the data was broken down by issue.  He also said that on many issues the BLM Ely Field Office received comments from both ends of the spectrum.  Robert Maichle said the lack of comments suggests confidence in the BLM.  Marta Agee added that there is a feeling of frustration as well.  John Hiatt agreed.
  • Kolkman said significant progress is being made with the Eastern Nevada Landscape Coalition regarding the Eastern Nevada Landscape Restoration Project.  He said recent discussions indicate that local tribes might soon be able to participate in some projects.  He noted too the Forest Service involvement on some projects.  He said that ReGAP has so far covered 18 million acres of sampling.   A brief explaination of ReGAP ensued.
  • Re energy issues, Kolkman said that Toquop would have the option of being air-cooled or water-cooled, depending on a decision by the state water engineer.  He said that an exchange re Pah Rah has been determined to be a good idea, otherwise the tract will be put out to competitive bid.  He also said that planning protests have been received from the Western Land Exchange and another group.  Kolkman said that wind energy anemometer placement has been difficult due to site access.  He said that the BLM Ely Field Office has suggested locations other than those requested to eliminate concerns.  A brief discussion ensued.
  • Re the Lincoln County Land Act (LCLA), Kolkman said that Lincoln County has requested more time prior to the next phase (sale).  He said the BLM has agreed to delay a sale from this year to the next.  He said the congressionally mandated deadline remains Oct. 2005.  He said the BLM is still in court on the first phase and is awaiting a decision.
  • Re Fire Hazard Reduction Projects, Kolkman said both the Ely and Mount Wilson Community Guest Ranch communities remain at risk despite the scheduled Fire Hazard Reduction Projects, which are being implemented.  A brief discussion ensued.
  • Re wild horses, Kolkman said the Dry Lake Herd Management Area (HMA) gather is scheduled to occur in July or early August.  He said the HMA’s Appropriate Management Level (AML) is fewer than 100 head and that currently the HMA has on it between 300-400 head.  He said there are forage and water issues on the HMA.  Ben Patterson asked if anything was planned to remove wild horses from so-called horse-free areas.  Kolkman said any effort would probably be based on “triage.”  A brief discussion ensued re the possibility of removing wild horses from horse-free areas, e.g., herding them back into HMAs.  Kolkman said the issue is difficult, but he feels it best to begin with the worst-hit areas first, i.e., triage.  Hiatt asked if AML has been set districtwide.  Kolkman said any remaining areas would have AML established by the end of this fiscal year.  He said AML is not an issue – a lack of money and permission to gather is the issue.  Billie Young asked if letters of support would help resolve the issue.  A brief discussion ensued.  Kolkman said moving horses does not help, getting the money to gather would resolve the issue.  A brief discussion ensued.
  • Kolkman provided the council with a brief explanation of planned-for signage along the McGill Highway regarding OHV use and the need to remain on existing roads and trails.

- Mellington recessed the meeting at 9:30 a.m., reconvening at 10 a.m. – 

Las Vegas Field Office, BLM Las Vegas Field Manager Mark Morse (see attachment 2). 

§         Morse provided the council a brief update on recent sales under the Southern Nevada Public Land Management Act (SNPLMA), noting an increase in difficulty in putting such sales together.  He said the BLM is attempting to meet local municipalities demands.  John Weisser asked how recent price increases would affect the value of upcoming parcels.  Morse said he did not know.  Steve Mellington asked how much money has been spent to date.  Gene Kolkman asked how much has been spent in rural Nevada.  Morse said about 25-percent of SNPLMA funding has been expended in rural Nevada, or outside Clark County.  He said the remainder, or 75-percent, has been expended within Clark County.  Morse said the first sale in 1999 brought in $10 million.  He said the second sale brought in $16 million.  Subsequent sales have risen to the latest figure of $232 million, said Morse.  Hiatt asked why people pay so much.  Morse said the people who bid have generally already purchased the inholdings and that they are committed to purchasing the remaining public lands.  John Hiatt noted that average densities for new housing in Clark County are 10 units per acre and that all planning conducted by Clark County previously is woefully inadequate.  A brief discussion ensued re adequate availability of public services and the social implications of rapid growth.  Kolkman asked if Clark County could zone the to-be sold parcels prior to the sale.  Patricia Irwin asked if the parcels were, in fact, zoned prior to sale.  Hiatt said the parcels were zoned within a range of units per acre and that the zoning could be changed subsequent to the sale.  A brief discussion ensued.  Jerry Helton (arriving from the Northeast Great Basin Resource Advisory Council meeting at 10:25 a.m.) requested clarification re the Robert Hall temporary injunction on land sales.  A brief update was provided.

§         Marta Agee asked about Red Rock.  Agee said she was on vacation in the Midwest and was told by a mountain climber that theft at Red Rock is rampant.  Morse acknowledged that crime is rampant at Red Rock.  He said it appears to be organized crime that breaks into vehicles and removes one piece of ID and a single credit card from wallets and/or purses for immediate use.  It’s a cyclic issue that is shared by other NCAs and National Parks in the western states.  Permanent signage at the entryways was suggested.    

BLM Battle Mountain Field Manager’s Report, Assistant Field Mgr. Bill Fisher (see attachment 3). 

  • Re Esmerelda County and Nye County townsites, Fisher said that HR367 reduced the 25-year stipulation to just 15 years, allowing the federal government to turn the townsites over to the individual county governments.  Fisher said the changes in legislation would resolve the issue of the two townsites that are currently in trespass on federal property.  He also said that the Nevada legislature approved similar legislation two years ago.  A brief discussion ensued.
  • Fisher said that work to designate a specific location an Area of Critical Environmental Concern is still proceeding, despite a lack of funding.
  • Fisher said that an emergency gather has been proposed for the Silver Peak Herd Management Area (HMA).  He said that wild horses within the HMA are in Class Two condition and that a full force and effect decision was sent out yesterday.  A tour involving staff from the Washington Office is scheduled soon.  A gather is scheduled for the first week in July.
  • Fisher said the Ponderosa Dairy trespass issue should be resolved soon with a direct sale of the four parcels of land that are in trespass.  He said all the pre-work has been completed and that an appraisal is due back next week.  The NORA will be published and a sale hopefully scheduled in September, he said.  Ben Patterson asked if direct sales were at appraised value.  Mark Morse said yes.  Fisher said the Ponderosa sale would be both direct and modified-competitive.  A brief discussion ensued re BLM use of the direct sale process.

11:31 a.m. – Range Improvement Projects, Chris Mayer, BLM Ely Field Office range lead. 

  • Mayer said that Nevada Governor Kenny Guinn has signed a stock water bill resulting in several fundamental issues for the BLM and public, i.e., 1) the legislation will cost taxpayers a significant amount of money to develop water, 2) the legislation states that federal agencies (BLM) cannot share in water rights, 3) potentially, the legislation ties property rights to water rights, 4) a Land Use Plan (LUP) with a significant level of National Environmental Policy (NEPA) analysis would be required for any water improvements on public lands, which would be extremely controversial, 5) the legislation allows for water rights to be filed on significant amounts of snow.  A brief discussion ensued re the BLM’s ability to issue stock water rights.  There was a concern that livestock permittees could not afford the Land Use Planning process, which could involve litigation.  Marta Agee provided a brief background on water issues in western states.  Agee said traditionally the western states owned the water and that the federal government initiated a fight for the resource when it attempted to wrestle control from the states.  She said the states would prefer that individuals own water rights.  Gene Kolkman pointed out that the issue is limited to the State of Nevada.  Ben Patterson said the water rights issue in Nevada is based primarily on philosophical differences.  He said the real problem is getting water to everyone in a beneficial manner.  Kolkman said water improvements have been underway in the BLM Ely District for a long time.  Kolkman said the legislation would prevent new water projects from being implemented.  He also said the BLM Ely Field Office can no longer allow permittees to change the “place of use.”  A brief discussion ensued.
  • Chris Mayer provided the council an update on various projects throughout the BLM Ely District.  Mayer said most of the projects are located in White Pine and northern Lincoln counties.  In Lincoln County, riparian exclosures are the primary emphasis, he said.  He said in White Pine County, pipeline improvements are the main emphasis.  Mayer said that other projects include the Schellborne fence, a pipeline involving the Duckwater Shoshone Tribe and Kirkeby Ranch, water storage tanks and temporary water haul sites for livestock distribution.  He also said that an exclosure is scheduled for construction south of the White River Narrows to control livestock grazing along SR 318.

11:47 a.m. – Duckwater Tribal Issues/Expansion, Elvis Wall, BLM Ely Field Office Native American coordinator. 

  • Wall said the BLM Ely Field Office has been working with the Duckwater Shoshone Tribe since the mid-1970s.  Wall said the BLM Ely Field Office met with the tribe in December 2002 to develop a strategy that would bring all interested parties together in a collaborative process, including members of the general public and various interest groups.  He said a boundary (428,000 acres) was developed that the tribe felt would be in its best interest.  The request has gone through the scoping process.  The tribal council is today meeting with BLM Ely Field Office representatives to redefine the requested boundaries, which have been reduced.  The exact acre amount is being defined as of today.  Once the boundaries are redefined, the tribe will reassess their request.  In the next step, the BLM Ely Field Office will conduct a second round of scoping meetings.  If there are no major concerns with the modified request, the BLM Ely Field Office will proceed with recommendation to the Nevada State Office (NSO).  Marta Agee asked if the proposed expansion would impact neighboring allotments.  Kolkman said the initial proposal involved several neighbors who could end up having their allotments governed by the tribe instead of the BLM.  Wall said that when the expansion proposal process is completed at the field office level, the final document would be routed through the Nevada State Office to the Secretary of Interior and sent to the Bureau of Indian Affairs and Congress, for approval.  If it were to become law, the affected public lands would be transferred from the BLM to the BIA, to be administered by the Duckwater Shoshone Tribe.  Billie Young asked if any Herd Management Areas (HMAs) would be impacted.  Wall said that the Monte Cristo HMA to the east of the reservation could be affected, but that any impacts would be mitigated.  Wall also said it is possible that the tribe would not request any public lands located within the HMA boundaries.  Bob Maichle asked if the expansion proposal involved only contiguous lands.  Wall responded that the initial proposal included public lands in Sand Springs but that the scoping process revealed that the requested property was not contiguous.

- Helton recessed the meeting for lunch at 12 p.m. - 
- Helton called the meeting to order at: 1 .m. - 

1 p.m. – U.S. Forest Service Issues, Patricia Irwin, Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest Ely District Ranger and Steve Holdsambeck, District Ranger, Spring Mountains NCA . 

  • Irwin said that privatization is rapidly becoming a morale issue at the Forest Service because people are threatened with a loss of employment.  Irwin said she has been notified that some positions nationwide won’t be refilled.  Three of 16-18 of the positions in the Ely district won’t be filled due to the policy, she said.  She also said that staff is being trained in Reduction in Force.
  • Irwin briefly explained NEPA changes that include non-appealable categorical exclusions.  She also pointed to changes in appeal regulations, e.g., if a member of the public does not provide comment during the scoping process then he or she will find it more difficult to appeal the decision when it is complete.  A brief discussion ensued.
  • Irwin briefly explained progress on the Duck Creek Basin Travel Management Plan Request for Comments (see attachment 4).
  • Irwin said the Forest Service has about 32,000 acres of public land in Nye and Lincoln counties.  In the allotment, there are about 50 estray cattle that the Forest Service is attempting to deal with, either through a gather or impoundment.  The Forest Service is working with the State Brand Inspectors and State Attorney General’s office.  She said a first attempt, i.e., gather or impoundment, is tentatively scheduled in October 2003 with a follow-up scheduled tentatively in February 2004.  John Hiatt said a BLM gather in the Amargosa Valley, in Calif., did not succeed.  Marta Agee suggested the Forest Service fund local permittees and allow them to gather the cattle.  Agee pointed out that unbranded cattle on a permittee’s allotment are considered to be the permittees.  Irwin said the State Brand Inspectors say differently.  Hiatt said the State Brand Inspectors have been a major impediment to every estray gather in Nevada fro years.  Kolkman said the issue is that the agencies are getting mixed messages.  A brief discussion ensued.  RAC members suggested that the Forest Service allow the State of Nevada resolve the impoundment issue by turning the cattle over to the permittee, who in turn will gather and/or liquidate them.
  • Steve Holdsambeck said the Forest Service is scheduled this fiscal year to go to a year-round concession contract at Spring Mountains NCA.
  •  Holdsambeck said that an ethnographic landscape analysis is underway at the NCA and the Forest Service is learning that it should be collaborating with more Native American bands.
  • At the last RAC meeting, Holdsambeck told the RAC about procedures to stop geocaching inside wilderness boundary.  He said interest in the issue has tripled since the last meeting.  Also, petroglyphs have since been discovered throughout the NCA so geocaching could be prohibited throughout the NCA.
  • Steve Mellington asked what happened to the RAC’s recommendations regarding animal control and target shooting inside the NCA.  Holdsambeck said the recommendations have been forwarded.  Holdsambeck said there is some concern about issuing additional public restrictions inside the NCA.
  • Billie Young asked about the status of the Wild Horse & Burro supervisory position in Sparks, Nev.  Holdsambeck said the position has yet to be filled, due to budgetary concerns.
  • Responding to a question by Hiatt, Holdsambeck said the Forest Service is looking at OHV use of the trails within the NCA, formulating alternatives and writing an Environmental Assessment (EA).  He said the agency expects to have a decision by the end of December 2003.

2 p.m. – Sustaining Working Landscapes: Jo Simpson, NSO Communications Chief (see attachments 5-8).

  • Simpson said the agency has determined that some changes could be made through policy rather than regulations, which is a longer process.  She said a draft policy would be forwarded to the council by next Wednesday.  Simpson then provided a brief explanation of the individual concepts (attachment 5).  Simpson said the Northwest and Northeast Great Basin Resource Advisory Councils have established a sub-committee to review the draft policy and provide comments prior to their next regularly scheduled meetings.  She said the Mojave Southern Great Basin Resource Advisory Council has been invited to participate on the sub-committee.  She also said that the councils have been directed to schedule a meeting specifically for public comment on the draft policy.  She said all comments received from the councils and public would be forwarded to the Nevada State Office, which would forward them to the Washington Office.  A brief discussion ensued.
  • Jerry Helton said that council members attending the annual conference in Washington, DC, last spring, were provided an agenda regarding potential grazing regulation modifications just prior to the meeting.  Helton said it was widely assumed that the changes had already been made.  Instead, the goal was to provide those attending the conference with something to work with, he said.  Helton blamed the confusion on poor presentation.
  • Simpson clarified further, saying that draft regulations have been published and public meetings conducted.  However, it has been recommended to make some of the changes where appropriate through policy because policy changes are simpler to implement.  Simpson reassured the council that the agency never intended to ignore them.
  • Marta Agee, John Hiatt and Ben Patterson volunteered to serve on the sub-committee.  The council agreed to address the policy at its next regularly scheduled meeting in Tonopah, Nev.  The council determined it best to hear the sub-committee’s report from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., and conduct a public hearing from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 4. The council would focus on other issues on Friday, Sept. 5.

3 p.m. – Wild Horse & Burro Issues, BLM Ely Field Manager Gene Kolkman. 

  • Kolkman explained briefly this year’s gather schedule for wild horses and burros.  He said approximately 2,200 wild horses are scheduled to be collected via regularly-scheduled gathers.  Emergency gathers are not included on the recently-released schedule, he said.
  • Marta Agee asked if all the BLM districts in Nevada are as close to establishing Appropriate Management Level (AML) as Ely is.  Agee was told that Elko and Winnemucca are making progress.  Battle Mountain is experiencing difficulties.
  • Billie Young said the goal is to establish a statewide AML of 15,000 wild horses and burros.  Young said figures indicate that roughly 7,000 wild horses and burros are adopted annually.  She said the public’s desire to adopt might increase if the state’s AML was maintained at 14,000-15,000 wild horses and burros.  Additional interest might spur an increase in fees that would help to cover program costs.  A brief discussion re longterm holding benefits/issues ensued.
  • Kolkman said holding facilities could provide a short-term solution, provided that wild horse and burro numbers are brought to AML.
  • Kolkman said the BLM Ely District contains 24 Herd Management Areas (HMAs).  He said AML remains to be established on some of the district’s smaller HMAs.  One or two National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) analyses would establish AML, he said.  Kolkman suggested two possibilities: 1) Allotments determined to possess insufficient habitat for wild horses would have the AML established at zero, and, 2) allotments with sufficient habitat would be combined and wild horses allowed to remain.  Kolkman described briefly a situation where wild horses and feral cattle are staking claim to the small riparian areas and denying the permittee access.  He said zeroing out the wild horses and feral livestock would be an option, but that the proposal would generate controversy.  He said a scoping letter was released on Monday, June 16.  A proposal would be completed in Spring 2004, he said.  Kolkman said he would provide the RAC an update at its next meeting, scheduled in September.
  • Re wild horses on the Nellis Air Force Base, Mark Morse said the protest period for the Nellis Plan ends Monday, June 23, 2003.  Morse said the plan has support from the NWHA.  He said the location was scheduled to be gathered in December 2002/January 2003.  The gather has not been conducted, he said.  Morse said that foaling season has past.  He said the BLM is hauling water to selected sites and that the wild horses appear to be in good health.  If a gather can be conducted this fiscal year, the site could be left with only about 350 wild horses, he said.  Marta Agee said drought conditions mandate that horses be removed immediately so as to retain good feed in the future.  Morse said a tour of the area is scheduled in late-June.  Morse said the Clark County Act allows SNPLMA money (up to 10% annually) to be used for conservation.  Some money could be used for contraceptives, if the gather is delayed for a brief time, he said.  Agee asked if the use of contraceptives would be just another “test case” or if it would be a viable solution in the fight to stem the growing numbers of wild horses on the Nellis Range.  Billie Young said contraceptive use is still considered to be research but that it has progressed significantly in recent years.
  • Citing concerns over the handling of wild horses in the southern portion of the district during the drought last summer, Kolkman suggested that the Mojave Southern Great Basin Resource Advisory Council review the BLM’s euthanasia policy.  The council agreed to take up the policy review.
  • Morse said legislation that would have fenced off the highway through Red Rock failed, but that Governor Guinn has requested that such a project proceed.  Therefore, the BLM intends to fence off the highway through Red Rock to protect wild horses and burros.  The Nevada Division of Forestry inmate work crews and the Nevada Department of Transportation are partnering with BLM to get the area fenced.

4:11 p.m. – Public Comment Period – 

  • Speaking as a member of the public, Billie Young asked that anonymous cards be provided the RAC and public ( via a suggestion box).  A brief discussion ensued. Kolkman suggested the RAC have a presence on the BLM website.  A brief discussion ensued.  Weisser suggested having people mail correspondence to the BLM Las Vegas Field Office, which would be forwarded.  A brief discussion ensued.  The public comment period closed at 4:20 p.m.   

4:21 p.m. – Prescribed Fire/Fire Season Outlook, BLM Ely Field Manager Gene Kolkman. 

  • Kolkman provided a brief history and timeline re the development of the BLM Ely District Managed Natural and Prescribed Fire Plan that began in 1999 with the establishment of a Technical Review Team.  He said the plan was completed in 2001.
  • Kolkman said the district has determined that an area identified as the Mt. Grafton Fire Use Zone possesses qualities that would benefit from managed natural or prescribed fire.  He said the district is already conducting pre-suppression activities.  A communications plan has to be developed, he said.
  • John Hiatt asked if any vegetation would be thinned prior to ignition.  Kolkman said fuels crews are in the field.
  • Marta Agee asked about the potential for biomass.  Kolkman explained that the Ely and Mount Wilson Community Guest Ranch Urban Interface projects, which had a potential for biomass, had been halted by lawsuits but that watershed analyses are underway as part of the Ely Resource Management Plan and Environmental Impact Statement (Ely RMP/EIS).  A brief discussion re biomass, the Mt. Grafton Fire Use Zone and Ely RMP/EIS ensued.

4:26 p.m. – Itinerary for RAC meeting scheduled Thursday and Friday, Sept. 4-5, 2003, in Tonopah, Nev. 

    • Thursday, Sept. 4, 2003

 1 p.m. – Grazing Policy

 4 p.m. – Public Meeting 

    • Friday, Sept. 5, 2003

8 a.m. – Grazing Policy

10 a.m. – Field Manager Reports

11 a.m. – Forest Service: Wild Horse & Burro issues

12 p.m. – Misc., e.g., additional public comment, update re: Duckwater Shoshone expansion possibilities, BLM Wild Horse & Burro euthanasia policy. 

4:42 p.m. – Mark Morse said that a congressional staff bus tour is scheduled Aug. 27, 2003, in and around Mesquite, Nev.  He invited the RAC members to attend, if possible. 

- There being no further business, Helton adjourned the meeting at 4:45 p.m. -  


Please contact the Nevada RAC Coordinator for further information.


This page was created by the
U.S. Bureau of Land Management,
Office of Public Affairs
1849 C Street, Room 406-LS
Washington, DC 20240
Phone: (202) 452-5125
Fax: (202) 452-5124
Please contact the NI_Webteam with
any questions relating to accessibility of documents.

Download Adobe Acrobat Reader 5
This is a U.S. Government Computer System. Before continuing, please read this disclaimer and privacy statement.