Print Page
Piedras Blancas Light Station Outstanding Natural Area
Photo of Piedras Blancas Light Station Outstanding Natural Area

Piedras Blanca Light Station Map
Printable MapInteractive Map

The Piedras Blancas Light Station is a historic landmark on California’s central coast. Located on a rugged windswept point of land 6 miles north of Hearst Castle along California’s scenic Highway One, the Lighthouse was first illuminated in 1875, and today beckons the visitor a respite from the modern world.

The Light Station is named for the distinctive white rocks that loom just offshore. These rocks, and the rugged shoreline, are home to seabirds, sea lions, and elephant seals. Over 70 native plant species can be found on the 19 acres surrounding the Light Station.

Earthquakes over the years had caused damage to the lighthouse. An earthquake on the last day of 1948 resulted in the upper part of the Lighthouse being declared structurally unsound. In 1949, the upper three levels (fourth landing, watch room, and lantern) were removed.

The BLM manages the Piedras Blancas Light Station as a historic park and wildlife sanctuary.

Access to Piedras Blancas is by guided tours only. Tours are offered year round, and feature cultural and natural history, as well as spectacular scenery.



Fee Area Accessible No dogs

Outstanding Natural Area Information

Plan Your Visit

Photos & Media

History & Culture

Nature & Science

Education & Outreach


Light House News

Light House Management

Contact Information

Light Station: (805) 927-7361
Bureau of Land Management
Bakersfield Field Office
3801 Pegasus Drive
Bakersfield, CA 93308
Phone: (661) 391-6000 
Contact us by Email

BLM California FacebookBLM Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area FacebookBLM California YouTubeBLM California FlickrBLM California TwitterBLM  on PinterestBLM on InstagramMy Publiclands on TumblrBLM CA Newsrelease RSS Feed

Last updated: 07-15-2015