Huntington Wagon Road Interpretive Trail
Prineville District | OR
Season Dates: 1/1 - 12/31
The Huntington Wagon Road trail is short segment of trail (1.2 miles) within the larger Wagon Roads Area of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC). The road was constructed by J. W. P. Huntington in 1867 as a means of delivering materials promised by the US Government to the Klamath Indian Agency. Stretching from The Dalles, Oregon, to near present-day Fort Klamath, Oregon, the wagon road once stretched over one hundred miles in length. The Huntington Wagon Road Trail represents one of the few remaining visible road remnants which are legally accessible to the general public. Some artifacts may be viewed at the Des Chutes Historical Musem in nearby Bend, Oregon. Interpretive signs and benches are located along this out-and-back trail.
From Bend, Oregon, travel north approximately 7 miles on US highway 97. Take the Deschutes Market Road exit, turning slightly right on Pleasant Ridge Road. Take the 1st right onto Graystone Lane, then take the 1st left onto Deschutes Market Road. Take the 2nd left onto Dale Road. Turn right on McGrath Road and proceed 1.2 miles. The trailhead is on the right. Trailhead coordinates: 44.1365670, -121.2234910