Launch Permits for the John Day River
Updated: February 22, 2013
General Permit Information for All Permits
- An online launch permit is required to boat all river segments year-round on the mainstem downstream of Kimberly, and the North Fork downstream of Dale
- One launch permit is required per group, with a maximum group size of 16 persons
- Each permit is issued for a specific river segment and launch date
- Permits for some seasons and segments are limited (see below)
- Trip leader may list one alternate trip leader at the time of reservation
- Trip leader or alternate is required to present printed permit and photo ID at the launch , and be present on the entire trip
- Each person may be named as a trip leader or an alternate trip leader on a maximum of one overnight and three day-use permits at a time
- Minimum age for a trip leader or alternate trip leader is 13 years
- All permits are issued on-line as they become available; there is no lottery, no waiting list, and no permits are issued by phone
- No fees will be charged for boating in 2013
To get at permit you will need:
- Desired launch point and launch date
- Desired take-out point and date
- Address and birthdate of trip leader and alternate (if listing an alternate)
- Vehicle license plate number at take-out (may be updated at the launch)
Limited Seasons and Segments
ONLINE PERMITS ARE REQUIRED
- May 20 to July 10 in Segment 2 and 3, for both day-use and overnight trips (applies to trips launching between Service Creek and Cottonwood, or floating past Service Creek from upstream within this date range).
Priest Hole Exception: For short day-trips taking place completely within Priest Hole Recreation Site (a distance of one mile between River Mile 136.5 and 137.5), self-issue permits are unlimited and may be obtained at Priest Hole.
Launch limits are designed to reduce crowding and ensure that overnight boating groups are able to find a suitable campsite on public land each night of their trip.
Launch permits issued for each date during the limited season:
Permit Release Schedule
Approximately one half of the launch permits available for each date during the high use season (May 20 to July 10) will be released on March 1 at 7 A.M. PT. The second half of the launch permits will be released on May 1 at 7 A.M. PT. Once all launch permits for a specific date have been issued, launch permits often become available closer to the trip date when:
- A trip leader cancels a permit
- BLM cancels a permit that was obtained by fraudulent means
- A permit is automatically re-deposited if not confirmed by the confirmation deadline; 10 days prior to the trip date
All permits are issued on-line as they become available. There is no lottery, no waiting list, and no permits are issued by phone.
Unlimited Seasons and Segments
ONLINE PERMITS ARE REQUIRED AND UNLIMITED
- July 11 to May 19 in Segment 2 and 3 (between Service Creek and Cottonwood)
- Year-round in Segment 1 (downstream of Cottonwood), and Segment 4 (upstream of Service Creek)
- Year-round on all segments of the North Fork John Day River
- Year-round for short day-trips taking place completely within Priest Hole Recreation Site (a distance of one mile between River Mile 136.5 and 137.5). Self-issue permits are obtained on-site at Priest Hole.
How to Get a Permit
- Step 1 - Check the calendar for availability and reserve your permit online
- Step 2 - Confirm your permit online between 10 and 30 days before your trip (we will send you two reminder notices)
- Step 3 - Print your permit and present it at the launch point with a photo ID