Permits are required for the following activities:
- Special Recreation Permits (SRPs) are considered on a case-by-case basis for specified recreational uses of public lands and related waters. SRPs for commercial stock (horses, goats, llamas) are not permitted in the monument due to high resource damage potential.
- Hang gliding and para-sailing/gliding require a permit from BLM and are only allowed in designated areas.
- Hiking groups larger than 25 are required to contact monument staff.
- Dispersed Camping groups larger than 25 in the north management zone and greater than 12 in the south management zone require a permit from BLM.
- With the exception of the collection of fruits, nuts, berries, or mushrooms for non-commercial personal use, limited to one gallon per day and the collection of dead and down wood, for immediate use in campfires, collection of any monument features (rocks, minerals, plants, etc.) requires a permit from the BLM.
- Motorized vehicle access on routes open to administrative use but otherwise closed to motorized vehicles must be authorized by BLM.
Fees are required at the following areas:
Outdoor Recreation Planner