Northwest Oregon RAC
|Northwest Oregon RAC Info|
|Member Application (PDF)|
|Call for Projects|
|Project Application (PDF) (DOCX)|
The Northwest Oregon Resource Advisory Council (RAC) provides advice and recommendations on all aspects of public land management, including Secure Rural Schools Title II recommendations, to the BLM's Salem and Eugene Districts. The jurisdiction of the Northwest Oregon RAC includes BLM-managed lands in Benton, Clackamas, Columbia, Lane, Linn, Marion, Multnomah, Polk, Washington, and Yamhill Counties.
Each January, the BLM accepts nominations for new members. The Secretary of the Interior appoints a total of 15 citizens to staggered three-year terms on the Council, therefore one-third of the member terms expire each year.
Members of this new RAC have been appointed to represent the following three interest groups:
- Category One: Five members who represent energy and mineral development (with a special emphasis on transportation or rights-of-way interests); the commercial timber industry; organized labor or non-timber forest product harvester groups; developed outdoor recreation, off-highway vehicle users, or commercial recreation (with a special emphasis on commercial or recreation fishing); or Federal grazing or other land permits or represent nonindustrial private forest land owners.
- Category Two: Five members who represent nationally recognized environmental organizations; regionally or locally recognized environmental organizations; dispersed recreational activities; archaeological and historical interests; or nationally or regionally recognized wild horse and burro interest groups, wildlife or hunting organizations, or watershed associations.
- Category Three: Five members who hold state elected office; hold county or local elected office; represent Indian tribes within or adjacent to the area for which the Council is organized; are school officials or teachers with knowledge in natural resource management or the natural sciences; or represent the affected public-at-large and/or are employed by a state agency responsible for the management of natural resources, land or water.
The Northwest RAC meetings are announced in the Federal Register at least two weeks prior their meeting(s). All RAC meetings are open to the public, and each meeting includes time for the public to present or comment on issues for RAC consideration.
Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act, Title II
Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act Title II funds are managed by Federal agencies. The RAC recommends how these funds will be spent. The Act defines a wide variety of activities that can be accomplished with Title II funds. Project applicants are not limited to Federal agencies such as the BLM, any individual or organization can submit an application. However, the project must benefit Federal lands or resources. The Secure Rural Schools Act (SRS Act) was reauthorized by section 524 of P.L. 114-10 and signed into law by the President on April 16, 2015.
Title II funds
The SRS Act funding includes over $954,000 within the NW RAC in Title II funding through the for FY 2014 (FY 2015 payment year), which can be used to complete special restoration projects on Federal lands proposed by resource advisory committees. Additional Title II funding will be available in FY 2016.
Full Funding Amount under section 524 of P.L. 114-10
Section 524 would retain the annual decrease in the full funding amount currently provided in section 3(11)(C) of the SRS Act, which provides that for FY 2012 and each fiscal year thereafter, the full funding amount shall be 95% of the full funding amount for the preceding fiscal year. Accordingly, the full funding amount for FY 2014 (FY 2015 payment year) would be 95% of the amount for FY 2013, and the full funding amount for FY 2015 (FY 2016 payment year) would be 95% of the amount for FY 2014.
BLM Secure Rural Schools Title II Project Coordinators
Title II Deadlines
Full proposals must be submitted to the Eugene or Salem District Office by close of business on December 14, 2015.
- 2015 Call for Title II Projects (PDF)
- 2015 Secure Rural Schools Title II Funding Grant Application (PDF) (DOCX)